Ponytails and braids are some of the easiest and most chic hairstyles. We spotted some of the best on the NYFW Fall 2017 runways.
At NaturallyCurly‘s signature event, Texture On The Runway, we saw a variety of different styles – from luscious fros and cascading waves to wild ringlets and tribal brades. Some of the products that headlined the show were Cantu, Carol’s Daughter, Creme of Nature, Curlformers, Mielle Organics, and SheaMoisture.
- Start by parting hair in a side part and spray a volumizing spray from mid lengths to ends for body.
- Next, use a conditioning mousse at the scalp and blow dry with your fingers to create texture.
- After that, use a medium sized curling iron and take 1″ sections and wrap the hair around the iron, leaving the ends out to create a soft wave.
- Then, on the left side of the head, French braid the hair back creating one braid. Now, on the right side of the head at the recession of the scalp, take another section and French braid it. Then join both braids and braid them together to create one.
- Next, take random sections at the sides of the head and create multiple 3 strand braids (about 2-3 braids). Then, add gold hair jewelry and cowrie shells to the braids.
- Finish with a salt spray for added beachy texture.
Celebrities like Emily Blunt, Ana de Armas, and Millie Bobby Brown were sporting some of the most amazing hair looks at events this past week and they all had one thing in common. They were styled by beach waves and braids expert Sarah Potempa, celebrity hairstylist and inventor of The Beachwaver Co.! Emily Blunt looked flawless at the Tory Burch Show.
- Use The Beachwaver Co. Coast Pro Ceramic Styling Iron to create texture around the hairline.
- Create a Fishtail braid down the middle and 3 braids on the side.
- Roll up the Fishtail in a Beachwaver Co. Wrap Up to create a bun.
- Wrap the braids around and secure with hair pins.
Redken Global Creative Director Guido Palau capitalized on colorful silk at the Marc Jacobs Spring/Summer 2018 show. Palau said, “The look at at Marc Jacobs feels very couture-y, but the way the shapes are feels somewhat sporty. It’s a clash of styles.”
- Starting with dry hair, secure a section of hair in a small bun at the crown of the head.
- Dampen lengths with water and alternate spraying with Redken Forceful 23 Super Strength Hairspray and applying Redken Hardwear Gel 16 to 1″ sections of hair, starting from the middle-back of the head, and pin each section close to the scalp. Move to the right side of the head and repeat, wrapping and securing each portion.
- Continue until hair lengths are wrapped completely around the head, using Redken Forceful 23 Super Strength Hairspray and water as needed to smooth and flatten hair against the head.
- Once hair is dry, use a wig cap to cover hair completely and secure in place with bobby pins.
- Fit turban or wrap scarf around the head to complete the look.
You can purchase all products reviewed and mentioned on BeautyStat.com!
Are you a fan of sporting ponytails and braids? What were some of your favorite looks from NYFW?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to follow us on our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @BeautyStat! #bstat
– Dawn Santamarina, Acting Managing Editor
You can follow Dawn on Instagram @missdawn1012
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.