With the weather warming up, it’s time to start thinking about ways to upgrade your hairstyle for spring. Fear not, Dove Celebrity Stylist Mark Townsend is here to take the guesswork out of what’s trending. From picnics in the park to drinks with friends, Mark and Dove Hair want to ensure every woman looks and feels her best all season long.
See below for Mark Townsend’s curated spring hair tips and how-tos, brought to life by the beautiful Dakota Johnson.
LOOK 1: The best hair requires minimal effort with maximum impact. Amp up your average braid with textured twists like Dakota Johnson rocked at the Fifty Shades Darker premiere.
- Start by spraying TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Volume Foaming Mousse to damp roots, then blow hair out with a mixed bristle round brush.
- Once hair is dry, set the top mohawk section with duck bill clips to create volume, then spray a paddle brush with Dove Refresh+Care Volume & Fullness Dry Shampoo and vigorously brush all of the hair in the back for volume and texture.
- Once the hair has the perfect texture, twist uneven sections of locks into braids and twists. As you go along, use dark bobby pins to keep the loose bits secured.
- Once you’re happy with the plait, secure it with a few Blax elastics, then release the mohawk section from the duck bill clips and use a bit of Dove Absolute Curls Crème Serum to get a bit of shine on the front.
- Finish the look by pulling front pieces back and securing it with dark scunci bobby pins. The result is a perfectly imperfect play on a plaited textured look.
LOOK 2: This effortlessly cool but still polished ponytail seen on Dakota Johnson is the perfect hairdo for any springtime activity, and works great on second or third day hair!
- To create the look, start by adding 1-2 pumps of a Dove Absolute Curls Supreme Crème Serum to damp hair and blow dry with a Mason Pearson brush.
- For texture and grip, liberally spray Dove Refresh+Care Volume & Fullness Dry Shampoo throughout hair, then gather it just above the occipital bone, securing with a tight elastic.
- The key to dressing up a ponytail is in the details, so pull a small amount of hair from the ponytail, wrap it around the base to hide the elastic, and secure with bobby pins.
- To create additional texture, spray Sally Hershberger 24K Beach Glam Mineral Wave Spray in hands and rake it through the ponytail.
- Finish by spraying Dove Style+Care Extra Hold Hairspray to boost shine and keep hair in place all night.
LOOK 3: Opt for a laidback half-up twist like the one worn by Dakota Johnson at this year’s Oscars afterparty for casual day party or see-and-be-seen errands around town.
- Start by applying Dove Style+Care Curls Defining Mousse to damp hair at the roots for volume, and spray Oribe Royal Blowout Spray to damp ends for added shine. Then blow dry hair with a mixed bristle round brush, trying to get the hair as smooth as possible without any added curl at the end.
- Once the hair is fully dry, use a GHD styling iron to add even more smoothness and shine, by ironing small sections of hair.
- Next, gather the hair around the hairline and pull it back just under the crown.
- Secure the hair from the hairline into a knot and secure with scunci bobby pins (MT Pro Tip : I always use an even number of hairpins because I cross them in an X for extra hold and security).
- Finish by very liberally spraying Dove Style+Care Extra Hold Hairspray all over the top to keep shorter, face framing layers in place all night.
LOOK 4: A playful tousled look similar to THIS hairstyle that Dakota Johnson wore to the People’s Choice Awards can easily go from day to night.
- Start by applying a serum to damp hair.
- Next, layer on Sally Hershberger’s Root Envy Root Lift Spray directly to roots and rough dry hair with a blow dryer to get about 50 percent of the moisture out. Then blow dry the front section of hair and set it with a duck bill clip. Blow dry the rest of hair with a Spornette boar bristle brush, getting it smooth and shiny.
- Once the hair is fully dry, go in section by section and liberally spray locks with Dove Refresh + Care Volume & Fullness Dry Shampoo before waving it with a double barrel iron. The double barrel iron creates the perfect bends for that sexy, textured look.
- Once you’re happy with the texture, let the front section and bangs out of the duck bill clip and begin to create volume at the crown. Use a teasing comb section by section at the crown and spray Dove Refresh + Care Volume & Fullness Dry Shampoo directly to roots for extra lift.
- Finally, spray a little bit of Dove Style + Care Extra Hold Hairspray to keep your hair in place and you’re ready to go!
You can purchase all products reviewed and mentioned on BeautyStat.com!
Which look do you love the best?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to follow us on our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @BeautyStat! #bstat
– Allycia Wilson, Editor in Chief
You can follow Allycia on Instagram and Twitter @lisalacquer
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.