Last week, I had the pleasure of attending a media event with Supersmile’s creator, Dr. Irwin Smigel, the father of aesthetic denistry. It was an education in everything from tooth staining to non surgical tooth lifts. We saw pictures of an opera singer whose jaw and teeth profile changed so much that she looked twenty years younger.
Dr. Irwin Smigel is the founder and current president of the American Society for Dental Aesthetics, and inventor of the Supersmile Whitening System. The product list is varied and impressive, but I wondered if the system actually worked.
What does the “Supersmile” system consist of?
1. The Professional Whitening Oral Rinse: this is a rinse that preps the teeth for whitening and it cleans them like a Roomba. It does not contain alcohol and comes in two sizes: an 8 oz bottle retails for $9.
I used this as indicated before I brushed my teeth with the Supersmile Whitening System. The flavor was icy cool and not harsh like Listerine.
2. The Whitening Accelerator and Whitening Toothpaste: These are formulated with CALPROX, which is a proprietary form of calcium peroxide that dissolves the protein pellicle on teeth. This is what substances like plaque, stains and bacteria adhere to.
I have to say that since using both the Accelerator and Toothpaste for a week now, I’ve noticed that my teeth are at least two shades whiter. The system retails for $21 for a 4.2 oz tube.
3. The 45 degree Ergonomic Toothbrush: this is a clear lucite brush that really has soft, nylon bristles that give you that coveted 45 degree angle brush. There are four colors: white, pink, green and blue. When I used the brush, I was impressed with its no nonsense, strong bristle system (most other bristles bend and give up before even reaching your gumline).
This brush also stands on its own. $9.
4. The Supersmile Whitening Floss: This has CALPROX and is wax free. It also contains baking soda. The unwaxed formulate reduces chances of splitting between tight teeth.
100 yards for $7.
5. The Clinically Formulated Oral Rinse: This is a post treatment rinse that helps you get fresher breath while it cleans the teeth. It is sugar free and contains less than 3% alcohol.
I cannot emphasize how much my breath has improved since using this product and the complete system. (it’s been like Extreme Makeover, the Teeth Edition). Everyone needs to get the Supersmile system pronto — after having tried so many products, it’s great to find a system that really and truly works.
The Rinse retails for $14 for a 16 oz bottle.