Summer is officially here, so are you protecting your hair correctly? While you’re having “fun in the sun” this season, the weather and other elements like salt water and chlorine can cause great stress and damage to hair from repeated exposure. Ricky Pennisi is a leading stylist and specialist in curly hair. He is also the founder of RI CI – a cutting technique and line of products developed to hydrate curls and combat frizz. Below, Ricky gives us expert tips on how to prevent damage.
- Tip 1: Dry, frizzy hair won’t hold a curl or style, and can even take longer to dry. Prevent dry hair by using sulfate-free shampoo like RI CI Splash Shampoo, ($20/16oz.) and conditioners such as Drench Conditioner, ($25/16oz.). Many shampoos contain sodium lauryl sulfate, which can strip the hair of its natural oils leaving it dry and frizzy.
- Tip 2: Invest in a great conditioner, like the RI CI Drench which can also be used as a leave-in conditioner when added to a water in a spray bottle. This step seals your hair’s moisture. The bottle is also great to bring with you to the pool and beach to give your hair that extra bit of love.
- Tip 3: Eliminate the heat. Heat causes your hair cuticle to split open, which creates frizz. If you must blow dry or use a diffuser, set it to a medium setting. It might take a little longer, but it’s better for your hair.
- Tip 4: Always apply your styling products immediately after you wash your hair. Once hair starts to dry without products, frizz begins to set in.
- Tip 5: It is important to touch your hair as little as possible while wet. Over manipulation of wet hair that’s curly or naturally wavy will lead to frizz. Once your hair is completely dry, feel free to manipulate your hair freely.
You can purchase all reviewed and mentioned products at BeautyStat.com.
Do you suffer from dry hair in the summer?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to follow us on our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @BeautyStat! #bstat
– Allycia Wilson, Managing Editor
You can follow Allycia on Instagram and Twitter @lisalacquer
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.
If you like this post, share it with your friends and give it a LIKE on Facebook.