With Awards Season in full swing, there’s no better way to spend Sunday night than obsessing over our favorite celeb looks on the Oscars red carpet.
Presenter Hailee Steinfeld stunned at last night’s Oscar’s. Celebrity Stylist Chris Appleton was inspired by the intricate detailing of her dress to create a sleek and sculpted modern updo style. “We went for a bold style to complement the mixture of classic and modern vibe given from her gown.”
Get The Look:
- Prep wet hair with TONI&GUY Prep Heat Protectant Spray and blow dry hair backwards away from the face using a paddle brush.
- Once dry, section off the top half of the hair and gather the lower half into a ponytail at the back of the head.
- Apply TONI&GUY Style Spray Wax throughout the top section for a high-shine effect and begin curling hair using a 1-inch curling iron.
- Once cooled, gently brush the curls out and join to the existing ponytail.
- Wrap sections of hair from the pony tail in a clockwise motion above and below, twisting into a flower shape. Secure with pins.
- Set the look with TONI&GUY Medium Hold Hairspray.
Halle Berry shined on the red carpet in her sparkling gown and voluminous curls. Her go-to stylist, Castillo, used MOP salon haircare products to create this glamorous and whimsical look. See below for his step-by-step.
Get The Look:
- I started with MOP mixed greens shampoo and conditioner to moisturize the hair.
- On damp hair, I added the lemongrass whip to the roots for lift and added volume, then applied the MOP c-curl defining cream to midshaft through the ends.
- Next, with the T3 Featherweight Luxe 2i Hair Dryer and SoftTouch 2 Diffuser I diffused sections of the hair.
- As soon as the hair was completely dry I used the T3 Whirl Trio Curling Iron to create different sized curls to clean up the look.
- Last, I sealed the entire look in with the MOP c-system hairspray.
“It was a joint process, that took around two weeks to decide on. Halle’s been wearing her hair natural lately and we really wanted to create a style that embodied her whimsical spirit. She was blown away with the finished look, she said she felt absolutely amazing.”
Oscar Winner Viola Davis and Janelle Monae both debuted new chic cropped ‘dos. And we’re loving it!
Giannandrea (@GiannandreaHair) for L’Oréal Paris created the look for Karlie Kloss. The inspiration? “Karlie came to me inspired that it was her first time on this iconic red carpet. I really wanted to make this look special for her – anything halfway at the Oscars wouldn’t have made sense, it wasn’t the place. We went with soft fresh waves, Old Hollywood, but a little more relaxed and supple.”
- To start, hair was washed with L’Oréal Paris Hair Expert Extraordinary Clay Shampoo ($4.99) and Conditioner ($4.99). It was important that last rinse of conditioner be done using cold water to close cuticle completely, which maintains subsequent volume.
- The first key product to the look was L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle BOOST IT Inject Volume Mousse($4.99), which served as the foundation. On towel-dried hair, Giannandrea worked product from root to tip, combing through.
- He next began blow drying the hair slowly on hot and low – using just his fingers so as not to stretch the hair, which minimizes volume. A combination of heat and mousse are enough for long-lasting volume, no brush needed.
- Next, he took a brush and sectioned the hair into a deep side part, and prepped small sections with L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray ($14.99).
- Using a 1-inch curling iron, he wrapped hair around the barrel with a little twist of his wrist while doing so to avoid any flatness. He worked the curling iron all the way around the head from top, down.
- To style the front, he picked up a flat iron to create a bend that was in line with the rest of the side curls — the effect of a flat iron vs. curling iron is less “round”.
- Once done, he brushed all the waves out GENTLY so as not to stretch them out.
- Next, he added a bit of L’Oréal Paris Hair Expert Extraordinary Clay Dry Shampoo ($5.99) for hold and plumpness, especially given the moisture in the air due to weather.
- Last, he softly brushed and added a final lock-in spritz of Elnett for shine.
For Emma Stone, L’Oréal Paris Celebrity Hairstylist Mara Roszak (@mararoszak) states, “The dress has a beautiful long silhouette and overall 40’s ‘goddess’ feel. To complement the dress, I made the hair feel brushed out with a very soft, dreamy wave.”
Get The Look:
- To start, Mara prepped Emma’s damp hair with L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle BOOST IT Inject Volume Mousse ($4.99) all over and parted the hair to the side.
- Next, Mara blow-dried Emma’s hair with the Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer ($399.00) using a round brush to create a soft base.
- Then, using a one-inch curling iron, Mara waved everything away from Emma’s face and sprayed all over with L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray ($14.99). She then let the curls sit for a few minutes.
- With a soft bristle brush and her hands, Mara then carefully brushed out the waves, while still maintaining the shape of the curl.
- Mara then sprayed L’Oréal Paris Boost It High Lift Creation Spray ($4.99) all around to open up the waves and create more volume.
- Next, Mara brushed the waves a little more to keep everything fluffy and dreamy feeling.
- Last, Mara finished by spraying L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray ($14.99) all over to set hair in place.
Mara also created the look for Brie Larson, “I wanted to give Brie an effortless, undone look. We opted for a simple half-up half-down style that had an ‘easy breezy’ feel with sexy texture.”
Get The Look:
- To start, Mara sprayed L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Boost It Air-Blown Texture Mist ($4.99) all over Brie’s hair to add volume and texture.
- After applying the product, Mara rough-dried Brie’s hair using the Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer ($399.00). She also used a one-inch curling iron and waved sections of Brie’s hair, pulling the hair away from Brie’s face.
- Then, Mara pulled Brie’s hair behind her shoulder and took pieces from both sides of her face to create a half-up half-down style. When pulling the hair back, Mara made sure to keep more hair down than in the up section.
- Mara then knotted the two sections of the hair and pinned. She sprayed L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle Lock It Bold Control Hairspray ($4.99) to keep the style in place.
- To finish the look, Mara allowed pieces of hair to fall around Brie’s face and sprayed L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray ($14.99) all over.
“Nicole’s Armani dress was so beautiful and chic with the most gorgeous open back that we wanted her hair to be up and not too fussy.”
- I sprayed Dove Absolute Curls Leave-In Detangler ($5.99) throughout her damp hair to add nourishment, then applied a dime-sized amount of Dove Absolute Curls Supreme Crème Serum ($5.99) from mid-length to ends before blowdrying the hair smooth
- After her hair was completely dry, I brushed it back into a low ponytail, leaving the front sections loose
- With a 1-inch curling iron, I added a little texture to the front right section and loosely tucked the left side back behind her ear, spraying it in place with Dove Style+Care Flexible Hold Hairspray ($3.99)
- Next, I split her ponytail into 2, and tied it into a literal knot, pinning it in place
- Then, I lightly teased the ends that were still out, and tucked them into the knot to complete the messy chignon
- To finish the look, I lightly teased the front waves then lightly sprayed her whole head with Dove Style+Care Extra Hold Hairspray ($3.99)
Dove Celebrity Stylist Mark Townsend styled Dakota Johnson’s sleek 90’s half twist.
“For Dakota Johnson’s look at this year’s Academy Awards, we took great inspiration from the 1990s. Because her dress, and especially the collar, was so gorgeous and ornate, we wanted to keep the hair sleek, straight, and minimal.”
- I started by applying Dove Curl Defining Mousse to her damp hair at the roots for volume, and sprayed some Oribe Royal Blowout Spray to her damp ends for added shine. I then went in and blow dried her hair with my mixed bristle round brush, trying to get the hair as smooth as possible without any added curl at the end.
- Once the hair was fully dry, I used my GHD styling iron to add even more smoothness and shine, using tiny sections.
- I then went in and gathered the hair around her hairline and pulled it back.
- For that ultra-90s look, we decided a half back look would be perfect so I secured the hair from the hairline into a knot and secured with scunci bobby pins. **Mark’s Tip — I always use an even number of hairpins because I cross them in an X for extra hold and security. **
- I finished by very liberally spraying Dove Extra Hold Hairspray all over the top to keep her shorter, face framing layers in place all night
For Taraji P Henson, Tymothe Wallace for Dove Hair styled her glamorous bob.
“I was inspired by the iconic Diahann Carroll when creating Taraji’s Oscars look. Her demure, navy blue velvet Alberta Ferretti gown was the perfect, modern nod to old Hollywood glamour, and I wanted her hair to reflect the same.”
- I prepped hair using Dove DermaCare Scalp Dryness & Itch Relief Anti-Dandruff Shampoo and Conditioner ($4.99) which alleviates any scalp dryness and itch but keeps hair soft, nourished and manageable
- Once hair was cleansed, I sprayed Dove Absolute Curls Leave-In Detangler ($5.99) on 2-inch sections of hair before blowing them dry with my Dyson blowdyer
- I then emulsified 2-3 pumps of Dove Absolute Curls Supreme Crème Serum ($5.99) in my hands and distributed it evenly throughout her hair before using my jumbo FHI Heat barrel curling iron to create pin curls which I then set with velcro rollers to lock-in the curl memory
- After curls were set, I took them down and used my trusty Mason Pearson to brush through the roller set, then used my fingers to set the look in place before liberally spraying with Dove Style+Care Extra Hold Hairspray ($3.99)
You can purchase all reviewed and mentioned items on BeautyStat.com.
Which look of the night was your favorite?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to follow us on our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @BeautyStat! #bstat
– Allycia Wilson, Editor in Chief
You can follow Allycia on Instagram and Twitter @lisalacquer
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.