Did you know, strong, healthy hair begins in the shower? According to successful salon owner and founder of RI CI, Ricky Pennisi breaks through the curtain to reveal five surprising ways on how you could be causing your own hair damage.
- Shampoo – according to Ricky, this is the most important part of the hair process. Shampoo is designed to remove dirt, but not using a correct one can actually strip your hair’s moisture. Always look for water-based shampoos and ones that are sulfate free. Also, think about your natural hair. If you have naturally wavy or curly hair, use a shampoo designed for your hair type like RI CI Drench. It will also nourish your hair and make your curls more manageable to style.
- Conditioner – the worst thing you can do is place conditioner above your crown line. This will lead to grease and unnecessary oil production. Instead, focus on your roots first. This is the area that requires the most moisture and attention.
- Brush – when your hair is wet it more susceptible to damage. If you forgot to brush before you stepped into the shower, use a big tooth comb and comb out the nuts while you have conditioner in your hair starting at the tip and working your way up to your crown. This step will keep the integrity of your hair intact.
- Weekly Treatment – Just like your skin, your hair requires a weekly treatment to help combat the daily damage our hair takes from heat products (i.e. strainer), extensions, excessive brushing and even free radicals. Every visit to the salon, talk to your stylist about the different treatment options. There are also great at-home treatments and hair masks. Use a hair mask/oil treatment one a week.
- Towel Burrito – just don’t do it! Wrapping your hair tightly with a towel causes the most stress and damage to your hair. Instead, gently squeeze out excess moisture on a dry towel – and pat, don’t rub (rubbing can cause knots).
You can purchase all reviewed and mentioned items at BeautyStat.com.
What do you think of these tips for keeping hair healthy and strong?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to follow us on our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @BeautyStat! #bstat
– Allycia Wilson, Managing Editor
You can follow Allycia on Instagram and Twitter @lisalacquer
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.
If you like this post, share it with your friends and give it a LIKE on Facebook.