Dove Celebrity Stylist Mark Townsend shares with us his holiday hair tips and tricks. From simple-but-chic ponytails to lovely tousled top knots, you’ll be the star of all your upcoming holiday festivities. Check out his step by step guides below on how to easily recreate the looks on your own!
Look 1: If soiree season has you strapped for time, opt for a playful ponytail like this look Dakota Johnson rocked at this year’s LACMA awards.
- Start by applying a dollop of Dove Style+Care Nourishing Curls Whipped Cream Mousse to damp hair and blow dry with a round brush to get the hair smooth and shiny with lots of body and movement.
- Then, gather hair into a ponytail and secure with two tight elastics likethese from Blax (I always use 2 elastics to keep the ponytail nice and tight throughout the night).
- Next, use a 1 inch curling iron like Harry Josh Pro Tools Curling Iron to add waves to the hair inside the ponytail.
- What makes a ponytail red carpet ready is the details, so I spray Dove Style+Care Strength & Shine Extra Hold Hairspray on a reusable mascara wand to clean up any loose hairs at the nape of the neck and around the ears, before wrapping a 1 inch piece of velvet around the base of the ponytail (you can also wrap a small section of hair around the ponytail and secure with a bobby pin).
- To finish, spray dry shampoo like Dove Refresh+Care Dry Shampoo , below, on the ponytail for texture and hold. If you have fringe like Dakota, dry shampoo will keep hair in place without making it stiff!
Look 2: I’m obsessed with bobs and deep side parts for winter. If you have shorter hair, go with this cool-girl, modern style with a touch of sophistication sported by Rachel McAdams at the Gotham Awards.
- Start by liberally spritzing Dove Oxygen Moisture Root Lift Spray, below, throughout damp hair and blow dry with a round brush for long lasting volume.
- After hair is dry, create a deep side part about 4 inches from the top of your ear, then wrap 3 to 4 inch sections of hair around a 1 inch Harry Josh Pro Tools Ceramic Curling Iron to create loose bends in the hair.
- For added texture and shine, spray Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black Dry Shampoo throughout hair while scrunching with hands.
Pro Tip: To keep the deep side part in place and tame any flyaway hairs, sprayDove Style+Care Strength & Shine Extra Hold Hairspray on a natural bristle toothbrush and run it over any areas in need of some extra hold for a totally polished style.
Look 3: For a fashion forward yet festive look, try a wrapped ponytail like this one as seen on Elizabeth Olsen that was inspired by Michelle Pfeiffer in Tequila Sunrise. The best part about this style is that it looks perfect on clean or unwashed hair!
- Prep hair with a smoothing shampoo and conditioner like the Dove Pure Care Dry Oil , below, line and blow dry hair with a paddle brush.
- Next, section hair into three sections and secure with elastics to create three separate ponytails; one just below the crown, the next at eye level, and the last at the nape of the neck.
- Spray Dove Refresh+Care Dry Shampoo on all three ponytails for extra grip, then wrap a long velvet ribbon of your choice around the ponytails starting from the top, connecting them together as you move down, and using black bobby pins to secure the ribbon as you twist to the end.
Look 4: All it takes is one good hair day (or night) to send your confidence through the roof. Start the New Year off right with street-look turned chic-look seen on Ashley Olsen below, right.
- Start by applying a few drops of Dove Youthful Vitality Silk Crème to damp hair and let it dry naturally (you can use a diffuser if you’re pressed for time).
- Once the hair is dry, gather the top section of hair and wrap it around itself to create a top knot and secure with bobby pins.
- Use a double barrel iron like R Session Tools Nalu Waver to create loose bends in the hair that is left out of the knot.
- Finish by liberally spraying Dove Style+Care Dry Shampoo throughout the hair for texture and hold.
Pro Tip: To make the look a bit more formal but still on-trend, use gold hair pins to secure the braided knot, or cross gold bobby pins a few inches below the knot to secure any shorter baby hairs around the back of the head.
You can purchase all reviewed and mentioned items on BeautyStat.com.
Which of these looks will you rock for your holiday festivities?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to follow us on our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @BeautyStat! #bstat
– Allycia Wilson, Managing Editor
You can follow Allycia on Instagram and Twitter @lisalacquer
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.
If you like this post, share it with your friends and give it a LIKE on Facebook.