Did you catch the Oscars last night? Of course you did! Hollywood’s biggest event showcased stunning trends of bright lip colors or totally nude makeup. For hair we saw sleek straight looks, glamorous Old Hollywood waves, unique buns and intricately styled braids. We were loving it all. Check out our favorites below!
The inspiration for Saoirse Ronan, by celebrity hairstylist Adir Abergel, was the construction and details of her Calvin Klein dress. “I wanted to give her an undone, textured blowout with a brushed out beautiful wave hand raked back away from the face,” he says.
Get the Look:
- He started by applying John Frieda Luxurious Volume Perfectly Full Mousse all over the roots on towel dried hair. He then air-dried the hair with 100% cold air to achieve maximum volume.
- Then using a medium sized round brush, he dried the hair applying hot air to form the style.
- Then he divided the hair in two-inch sections and wrapped each section into a Velcro roller allowing it cool and set. He did this throughout the entire head.
- Before removing the rollers, he sprayed John Frieda Luxurious Volume Forever Full Hairspray to set the look. He then removed the rollers, applying more spray to a Mason Pearson brush and brushed the hair into soft textured sexy waves.
- He then backcombed the front pieces of hair to create height for a sexy sultry side swept effect.
- To finish, he misted John Frieda Luxurious Volume Forever Full Hairspray to lock in the style for the night.
Hairstylist Mara Roszak for L’Oréal Paris created Brie Larson‘s look for last night. “Brie wore a gorgeous, royal blue, custom Gucci dress. I wanted her hair to have a celestial but fresh look to complement the dress. We did a modern half-up, half-down style.”
Get The Look:
- Mara started by applying L’Oréal Paris Advanced Haircare Extraordinary Oil Transforming Oil-in-Cream ($6.99) to Brie’s damp hair.
- She parted the hair in the center and then blow dried with a round brush.
- Once dry, she used a ghd platinum styler to touch up the hair and help with any frizz or flyaways while keeping it healthy and shiny, especially with the humid weather.
- She then sprayed L’Oréal Paris Elnett Hairspray ($14.99) all over the hair.
- Then, using a ghd curve Classic Curl Iron 1”, she created soft, loose waves throughout the hair.
- Once done waving, she brushed the hair out with a boar bristle brush and applied L’Oréal Paris Advanced Haircare Extraordinary Oil Lustrous Oil Serum ($6.99) on the middle and ends of hair for extra shine.
- Next, she took the front pieces of hair by the hair line on both sides and twisted them, bringing them to the back of hair. She pinned in place and then put a piece of fabric that matched Brie’s belt on top of the pins, wrapping the extra hair that was hanging around the fabric.
- Lastly, she sprayed L’Oréal Paris Elnett Hairspray ($14.99) all over the hair for hold and L’Oréal Paris Advanced Haircare Nutri-Gloss High Shine Glossing Mist ($6.99) for extra shine.
For Daisy Ridley’s look, Celebrity Hairstylist Robert Vetica for Olivia Garden states, “Her look is young and cool, and at the same time very modern. For the inspiration, I drew from very structural hair styles, things that were molded organically, with twists and folds, and then the other end of the spectrum – looks that were fashion forward and crafted in a more technical, architectural way. In the end, I took my favorite parts from each of those looks and combined them together, for a style that was high end but still fresh. We played off the feeling of her Chanel Couture dress, which had a 1920’s flapper vibe, but didn’t want to be literal with hair down, so we decided to do our own version of that look and apply it to how those girls might wear their hair today. Can I say that it’s badass? That’s how I feel about it!”
Get The Look:
Since Daisy has shoulder length hair, I first incorporated hair pieces to achieve the style, not only for length, but for extra volume as well. When I was prepping the hairpieces, I applied an oil to smooth out the hair and brushed the product through with Olivia Garden’s Divine Care & Style, $27; at ulta. I like using softer bristles when I’m working with hair pieces, it aids in making sure they have long wear, and also you’re able to keep them longer.
Mark Townsend styled Rachel McAdams for the 88th Annual Academy Awards
“When I saw the August Getty gown Rachel McAdams was going to wear to the Oscars, I immediately knew that her hair should be up. We both agreed on a clean and sleek look to complement the gorgeous dress.
- I started by applying NEW Dove Regenerative Nourishment Serum-in-Oil to her damp hair to nourish strands and seal the cuticle.
- I then blew her out straight with my Spornette mixed bristle round brush using my trusty ghd air™ hair dryer.
- Once the hair was fully dry, I went in with my ghd platinum styler and straightened her tresses section by section. This amazing flat iron features ghd’s tri-zone™ technology which allows me to style hair at the optimal temperature of 365 degrees while also adding shine.
- Next, I sectioned her hair into a deep side part, and coated my hands with John Masters Organics Rosemary and Peppermint Detangler. I used the detangler to give her hair a shiny, almost wet look, and pulled it in the back to create a textured knot.
- Using French hair pins to secure the knot, I created a sleek yet imperfect shape.
- I finished the look by spraying Dove Style+Care Strength & Shine Extra Hold Hairspray all over to set the look and keep any flyaways down. The end result is classic, modern, and above all, gorgeous.”
“The look is fresh and carefree for Cate Blanchett, but also has an element of elegance and pays homage to the modern women of the Diana Vreeland era in the 1940s and 1950s, where femininity and elegance lived in full splendor.”- Celebrity Hairstylist, Robert Vetica for Olivia Garden
Get The Look:
To give Cate her fresh, new cut I used Olivia Garden Cara Shears to create her jaw-length layered bob. We took her hair up from the collarbone and then added soft layers throughout. Once the cut was done the styling came next, which also mimicked the carefree nature of the look.
First-time Academy Award nominee Lady Gaga looked gorgeous on the Oscar red carpet wearing a stunning voluminously waved look created by stylist Frederic Aspiras for Pai-Shau.
“Since this is her first nomination for an Oscar, we wanted to create a hair look that was both timeless and glamorous,” explained Aspiras. “I created a sculptured but voluminous look that contoured her face and flattered her dress. I wanted a lot of shine and bounce.”
Get The Look:
- Beginning at the front of the hairline, apply Pai-Shau Royal Abundance Mousse to the first section of hair and curl with a curling iron (1″ iron for the front hairline section; 1 1/4″ iron for the crown down to the nape). Hold the curled piece of hair in your hand and apply Pai-Shau Royal Abundance Mousse to it, then pin the curl in place.
- Once all of the hair is pin curled, put under a dryer hood for 15 minutes. Then let the hair cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pins from the hair and brush out the hair.
- Begin sculpting the hair with Pai-Shau Style Soufflé and a wide tooth comb.
- Once you have achieved your desired look, apply a small amount of Pai-Shau Biphasic Infusion to the ends for added smoothness.
- Finish with Pai-Shau Imperial Hold Hairspray.
Charlize Theron dazzled on the red carpet at the 2016 Oscars with a chic, polished updo to complement her simple yet sophisticated look in her elegant mermaid style red Dior gown. Inspired by Charlize’s statuesque beauty, hairstylist Enzo Angileri crafted a look that reveals her exquisiteness: “I wanted to create a look that captures the essence of Charlize’s beauty. With her hair, dress and jewelry combined she looks polished and clean. If I were a sculptor, I would sculpt her – she looks perfect, like a statue.”
Get The Look:
- Begin by creating a deep side part and starting at the back of the head, apply Wella Professionals EIMI Root Shoot mousse to the lengths of the hair to mold the classic suave wave style.To set the look, blow-dry the back of the head using a diffuser.
- At the right side of the head, blow-dry hair smooth while applying Wella Professionals EIMI Root Shoot mousse to the sections of hair framing the face.
- Curl the sections of hair away from the face using a round brush and spray with an abundant amount of Wella Professionals EIMI Stay Firm Finishing Spray to create a firm hold.
- On the left side of the head, run fingers through the hair and tuck behind the ear, again applying an abundant amount of Wella Professionals EIMI Stay Firm Finishing Spray for hold.
- To complete the look, apply a small amount of Wella Professionals EIMI Just Brilliant to the entire head to create a polished, shiny appearance that dazzles on the red carpet.
Reese Witherspoon stunned at the Academy Awards in a gorgeous deep blue fit-and-flare gown, which inspired Nexxus New York Salon Care Celebrity Stylist Lona Vigi to create a sleek straight hairstyle. “We decided a straight hair tucked back behind the ears complimented the elegant neckline of the dress perfectly to create a classically glamorous look,” said Lona Vigi.
- On Reese’s wet hair, I applied a small amount of Nexxus New York Salon Care Exxtra Gel and Oil Infinite Nourishing Oilto create a sleek and sophisticated style that complemented her beautiful dress.I blow dried her hair with a ghd air hairdryerand used a ghd paddle brush to keep the look sleek and smooth.
- Once dry, I ran a ghd platinum stylerthroughout her hair. I love this flat iron because it heats to the optimal 365 degrees so I know I’m not damaging my clients hair. Then, I applied a small amount of Nexxus New York Salon Care Oil Infinite Nourishing Oil to create a shiny and smooth finish to the final look.
- To keep the hair back and in place, I sprayed Nexxus New York Salon Care Maxximum Hold Finishing Mist.
Chrissy Teigen has been taking her pregnancy style in full stride — the model and Cravings author looked flawless from head to toe on the 2016 Academy Awards red carpet! For Tinsel Town’s biggest night of the year, makeup artist Mary Phillips trusted none other than LORAC Cosmetics to create a neutral, natural, glow-y look to play off Chrissy’s already-stunning features.
Get The Look:
LORAC SHEER POREfection Foundation ($34)
LORAC POREfection Powder ($33)
LORAC Color Source Buildable Blush in Tinge and in Vivid ($22)
And check out these other natural beauties!
Didn’t you just love Kerry Washington‘s cat eye? And bold lips on Olivia Munn and Priyanka Chopra.
Alicia Vikander went for a surprisingly romantic look that took the Red Carpet by storm, wearing a gorgeous dusty yellow strapless Louis Vuitton couture gown. Deborah Lippmann opted for a nail look that was soft and ethereal, with a bit of a shimmery feel, as the ultimate finishing touch. Deborah used her deborah lippmann Bring On The Bling ($20, deborahlippmann.com), a divine diamond shimmer, for Alicia’s fingers and toes.
Lippmann adds, “2015 was such an incredible year for me personally having worked closely with Caitlyn Jenner, who introduced me to the tremendous issues surrounding the transgender community. To be working with Alicia all Red Carpet season and honoring her role in The Danish Girl feels like such an extraordinary extension of this journey. Alicia did an unbelievable job of sharing this touching story. She is such a brilliant actress and a true beauty beyond beauty, both inside and out. All season long she’s slayed it on the Red Carpet and tonight is no different!”
Get The Look:
Deborah prepped the nails using her signature 5-step manicure technique:
- First, she cleansed the nails with The Stripper nail lacquer remover ($19, deborahlippmann.com), shaped the nails with her Smooth Operator 4-way nail buffer ($12, deborahlippmann.com), exfoliated with Cuticle Remover ($20, deborahlippmann.com), and hydrated the hands and nails with Rich Girl SPF 25 Hand Cream ($28, deborahlippmann.com) and The Cure ($24, deborahlippmann.com), respectively.
- Deborah applied a layer of All About That Base ($20, Sephora.com) to correct and conceal discoloring and imperfections before lacquer application.
- Next, she applied one coat (one coat for pedicure as well) of divine diamond shimmer, Bring On The Bling ($20, deborahlippmann.com), for a hint of glitter.
- She topped off the look with a layer of Gel Lab Pro Top Coat ($45, part of set with Gel Lab Pro Base Coat, deborahlippmann.com).
- After allowing the nails to dry one minute, she applied a drop of the quick dry drops, The Wait Is Over ($20, deborahlippmann.com).
You can purchase all reviewed and mentioned items on BeautyStat.com.
Whicg look of the night was your favorite?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to follow us on our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @BeautyStat! #bstat
– Allycia Wilson, Managing Editor
You can follow Allycia on Instagram and Twitter @lisalacquer
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.