Did you catch the SAG Awards this past Saturday? Everyone from Alicia Vikander to Nicole Kidman to Christina Ricci brought their A-game to the red carpet. Makeup was minimal while hair was sleek and polished for most. Check out some of our favorite looks below with step-by-step guides on how you can look red-carpet ready!
Here is a breakdown for Alicia Vikander’s hair from the SAG Awards by Kérastase Paris. Alicia’s hair was styled by Celebrity Hairstylist, Chris Naselli.
- To start, prep hair with Kérastase Nutritive Masquintense and wash. Next, on wet hair, apply a quarter size amount of Kérastase Crème de la Crème from roots to ends, using a comb for perfect distribution.
- Using the ghd air hair dryer start to rough dry to about 70%. Then apply a quarter size amount of Kérastase Keratine Thermique from roots to ends to seal in moisture and to help protect from heat styling and frizz control.
- Next, make a center part and blow dry section by section with ghd’s natural bristle radial brush size 3 for a smooth and beautiful blowout.
- Starting at the back, working your way around the entire head, take 1 inch sections and smooth hair with ghd’s platinum styler. This flat iron features ghd’s tri-zone technology and allows styling at an optimal temperature of 365 degrees while also giving added shine.
- When entire head is finished, spritz a small amount of Kérastase Matérialiste just on side sections above the ear and use a comb to tuck the hair behind each ear. Hit the hair with a blast of hot air. This will give the sides hold. Use 1 bobby pin behind each ear to secure.
- Then, spritz a few pumps of Kérastase Elixir Ultime Bi-Phase Spray Oil all over head and smooth hair with the ghd oval dressing brush for a glossy finish.
- To finish the look, lightly spray Kérastase Fix Fabulous around sides for hold.
Kérastase products available at Kerastase-USA.com
Demi Moore stunned in a vintage Zac Posen gown with a timeless and elegant makeup look created by makeup artist Charlotte Tilbury.
When asked about the look, Tilbury said, “Demi and I wanted the makeup to match the elegance of the Zac Posen gown. I chose to go with my signature Dolce Vita eye look to enhance Demi’s amazing green eyes.”
Get The Look:
- To prep Demi’s skin and ensure a flawless canvas, Charlotte applied Magic Cream to the entire face and then Magic Eye Rescue to the eye area. Charlotte Tilbury Wonderglow was applied to create a flawless soft focus finish, which acted as the perfect base to the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Foundation in 6 Medium (NEW – available in March 2016).
- Charlotte applied Charlotte Tilbury Mini Miracle Eye Wand in Shade 2 underneath the eyes, then used The Retoucher Concealer in 3 Medium where needed and rid the skin of any unwanted oils with a dusting of Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Finish Skin Perfecting Micro-Powder in 3 Dark.
- Next, Charlotte used Charlotte Tilbury Brow Lift in Cara D to perfect Demi’s brows and frame her face.
- For the eyes, Charlotte applied her Luxury Palette in The Dolce Vita to make Demi’s green eyes sparkle, and then applied Charlotte Tilbury Rock ‘N’ Kohl in Barbarella Brown in a feline flick on the top lash line to elongate her beautiful lashes. The eyes were finished with Charlotte Tilbury Full Fat Lashes Mascara on top and bottom lashes.
- Charlotte then used Hollywood favorite Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow in Light-Medium to highlight and add a subtle glow.
- Charlotte applied Charlotte Tilbury Cheek to Chic Blusher in onto the apples of Demi’s cheeks.
- To complete the look, Charlotte lined Demi’s lips with Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat Lip Liner in Hollywood Honey and followed with Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipstick in Bond Girl.
Christina Ricci, SAG Awards nominee, looked spectacular on the red carpet tonight with a new blond bombshell look reminiscent of Brigitte Bardot. Her sizzling gown was designed by Christopher Kane and her head-turning style was created by celebrity stylist Creighton Bowman for Pai-Shau.
“Christina’s dress was such a showstopper that we created a modern take on Brigitte Bardot’s effortlessly tousled look,” said Bowman. “Her new blond color is beautiful and we wanted to create a look that was sensuous, and that didn’t look heavy handed in any way. It had to be fresh, bouncy, and free-flowing. Whatever shine and hold we put in had to look weightless, as if there were no products in the hair.”
Get The Look:
- Bowman shampooed Christina’s hair with Pai-Shau Replenishing Hair Cleanser then applied the Pai-Shau Supreme Revitalizing Mask for 5 minutes.
- He then applied weightless Pai-Shau Biphasic Infusion on Christina’s damp hair to nourish, smooth, defrizz and add shine. “The Biphasic Infusion also protects the hair when styled and is so water-light it absorbs right in. So, her color looked even richer.”
- Pai-Shau Royal Abundance Mousse was used next to build in soft volume and movement followed by a small amount of Pai-Shau Style Souffle Styling Cream to the ends of the hair.
- Using a medium size round brush, Bowman then blowdried the hair from underneath and bangs to the side. He then used a large curling iron to add to the tousled effect.
- Bowman finished with a light spray of Pai-Shau Sublime Hold Hairspray for a moveable, flexible hold.
Pai-Shau hair care products are available exclusively at fine salons. Visit www.pai-shau.com for more information.
Kirin Bhatty for Maybelline New York created a bold red matte lip accented with a smoky eye for actress Jessica Paré, the stunning Mad Men star.
Get The Look:
Lips: Bhatty prepped with Baby Lips to make sure they were moisturized and supple. She then applied two layers of Color Sensational Vivid Matte Liquid in Rebel Red with a lip brush. Lips were framed with concealer, by dabbing it around the lip line with the hard tip of the Dream Blender.
Eyes: Bhatty wanted to ensure that the lip remained the star so she opted for a glisten-y nude smokey lid. She applied a tiny touch of Master Prime and Master Conceal by FACESTUDIO to her lids, which helped the shadows glisten. She used the pink shades in the top row of The Blushed Nudes Palette on the entire lid followed by the taupey bronze in the first row on the lash line and into the crease just to give a bit of dimension. She applied the darker taupe in the bottom row with a stiff liner brush smudged onto the top and bottom lid. Bhatty curled her lashes and used one coat on the bottom and top of New York Lash Sensational Luscious Mascara followed by a few individual lashes and then another coat of mascara. She finished the look by subtly tapping the Highlighter shade in the NEW Master Contour Face Contouring Kit by Face Studio in the center of her lid.
Brows: Bhatty applied a brow powder first followed by NEW Brow Drama Pomade Crayon in Deep Brown, which she used to shape the brow. She then used a spoolie brush to comb them up giving her strong but not overwhelming brows.
Face: Bhatty hydrated and prepped her skin with serums and creams. She wet the Dream Blender and sprayed it with hydrating face spray. She then mixed a bit of moisturizer with the Dream Velvet Gel-Whipped Foundation to give a tinted moisturizer effect and applied with the Dream Blender. As the coverage is buildable, she was able to layer as necessary. She used a liquid highlighter on the high points of the face, then set with the Highlighter in the NEW Master Contour Face Contouring Kit by Face Studio on the bridge of her nose, orbital bone, a hint on the inner eye corner, on her shoulders and a tiny bit on her cupids bow. To give her skin a subtly sculpted and highlighted look, she used the Contour shade in the hollow of her cheeks and a touch on her jaw. Bhatty then used the Blush shade with a fluffy brush to create a pink wash on her apples and pulled the color toward her hairline.
Celebrity hairstylist Adir Abergel gave Saoirse Ronan a beautiful top knot for the SAG Awards. “I was inspired by the sleek and modern dress and I wanted a statuesque yet carefree undone updo that sat at the crown,” he says.
Get The Look:
- I applied NEW John Frieda Luxurious Volume Perfectly Full Mousse all over the roots through mid-shaft on towel dried hair. I then hand dried the hair and took a large round brush to create a soft voluminous blowout.
- Then I used a 1 1/4″ curling on large sections of hair to create random waves and texture.
- Next, I took a comb and teased the roots of her hair and pulled it loosely into a top ponytail leaving some height around the front.
- Then I took the ponytail and back combed it prior to wrapping it around in a big deconstructed bun and pinning it in place.
- I locked the look down with NEW John Frieda Luxurious Volume Forever Full Hairspray.
- I made sure some pieces fell around the hairline for a more whimsical and romantic effect.
SAG winner Uzo Aduba had beautiful makeup done by Janice Kinjo for Kiehl’s Since 1851. “The look is my version of modern roman royalty.”
“I started with Kiehl’s Turmeric & Cranberry Seed Energizing and Radiance Masque to brighten and hydrate her skin. After washing it off, I used Kiehl’s Daily Reviving Concentrate and sealed it with Kiehl’s Ultra Deep Moisture Balm to add hydration to her skin. It made her skin so supple and dewy. Then, I used Kiehl’s Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado so that her makeup would not crease under her eyes. Lastly, I put on Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1 to hydrate her lips.”
“I was inspired by Uzo’s goddess-like emerald green dress so, I swiped Giorgio Armani Eye Tint in #6 just to have a hint of green on her eyes. I smoked it out with Make Up For Ever Artist Shadow in Matte Black, and then filled in her eyebrows with MAC Eye Brows in Stud. I finished with Giorgio Armani Eyes To Kill Mascara.
On her skin, I used Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation in #10 to highlight, BlackUp Foundation in HC12 to contour, and set it with BlackUp’s Loose Powder in PL14.”
“Since there was so much color on her eyes and dress, I decided to keep her lips neutral pink and used ColourPop’s Chilly Chili matte lipstick.”
Dove Celebrity Stylist Mark Townsend styled Rachel McAdams – nominated for her role in Spotlight.
“For the 2016 SAG Awards, Rachel McAdams knew she wanted an effortless look when it came to her hair. Her Elie Saab black beaded gown was stunning, so we wanted to balance it out by giving a sexy nod to the 1930s coif.
To achieve Rachel’s lived in texture, I started by applying several drops of NEW Dove Regenerative Nourishment Serum-in-Oil to her damp hair to nourish hair and seal the cuticle. I then blew out her hair with a small, round Spornette Mixed Bristle brush.
Once her hair was fully dry and smoothed out, I started to create texture by using my 1-inch ghd curve classic curl iron to wave the underneath section of her hair loosely. I love this curling iron because it features ghd’s tri-zone™ technology, which allows me to style hair at the optimal temperature of 365 degrees. This ensures styles last longer without causing extra damage.
I then concentrated my efforts on the top section, using the new ghd platinum styler, which also features ghd’s tri-zone technology and gives added shine, to create soft bends in an “S” formation. I then set the hair around her face with flat clips in said “S” shape and let it cool.
Once I removed the clips, I sprayed her blonde locks with LOTS and LOTS of Dove Refresh+Care Volume & Fullness Dry Shampoo for volume, texture and grit. The end result is an effortlessly cool take on a 1920s finger wave.”
For Brie Larson, L’Oréal Paris Celebrity Hairstylist, Mara Roszak said for the inspiration,“Brie wore a beautiful, powder blue Versace gown. I wanted her hair to be modern and sleek to complement the elegant silhouette of the dress.”
- Mara started by applying L’Oréal Paris Advanced Haircare Extraordinary Oil Lustrous Oil Serum ($6.99) to Brie’s damp hair
- She then blow dried and flat ironed the hair
- Once dry and straight, she made a center part and applied L’Oréal Paris Advanced Haircare Extraordinary Oil Transforming Oil-in-Cream ($6.99) to smooth the hair and tame any flyaways.
- She then took each side of the hair and twisted it backwards started at the ear, pinning at the nape of the neck into a low ponytail.
- Mara then sprayed L’Oréal Paris Elnett Hairspray ($14.99) for hold.
- She then took the ponytail and looped it, leaving the ends out for a more modern feel, and then pinned into place.
- To finish, Mara applied L’Oréal Paris Advanced Haircare Nutri-Gloss High Shine Glossing Mist ($6.99) all over the hair to give it a glossy shine.
For Naomi Watt, Makeup Artist Tyron Machhausen for L’Oréal Paris said for inspiration, “When we saw Naomi’s beautiful, deep blue dress, we knew we wanted to create a very clean and modern look. We also wanted to play on the deep blue shade and create a pop of berry color on her lips – we actually built her look around the lip color!”
- Tyron started by prepping skin with Revitalift Volume Filler Serum ($24.99), and then added bit of Revitalift Daily Volumizing Moisturizer ($24.99) all over.
- Tyron wanted to keep Naomi’s skin very dewy a fresh so he used True Match Concealer ($8.95) and True Match Lumi Cushion Foundation ($16.99) to even out her skin tone.
- For cheeks, Tyron mixed Visible Lift Blur Blush in Soft Pink ($12.99) with True Match Liquid Glow Illuminator in Ice ($12.99). This shade mixture created a beautiful cheek color that complemented Naomi’s dewy foundation.
- Tyron then groomed the eyebrows with Brow Stylist Definer ($8.99).
- For Naomi’s eyes, Tyron used Infallible Silkissime Eyeliner in Black ($8.99) very close to her lash line. He then added a light dusting of Infallible Eye Shadow in Always Pearly Pink ($7.99) to give her eyes a shimmery rose tint.
- Next, Tyron finished off the eye look with Superstar Red Carpet Mascara ($10.99), really saturating the eyelashes.
- To complete the look, Tyron created a custom, berry lip color for Naomi using both Infallible Pro-Matte Gloss in Rouge Envy and Forbidden Kiss ($9.99 each). This gave her lips a bright pop of berry color with a velvety finish.
You can purchase all reviewed and mentioned items on BeautyStat.com.
Which look did you love from the SAG Awards?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to follow us on our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @BeautyStat! #bstat
– Allycia Wilson, Managing Editor
You can follow Allycia on Instagram and Twitter @lisalacquer
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.