Dandruff is found in almost every individual, both men and women. However, to fight off a flaky scalp there are many anti-dandruff shampoos available. Head & Shoulders, from the house of Procter & Gamble, is on the top of the list with a wide range of anti-dandruff shampoos and conditioners. I too face dandruff problems as well, so I was glad to review the new variant of Green Apple Head & Shoulders Shampoo and Conditioner. To deliver dandruff relief and a fresh scent that lasts, the Green Apple collection has been developed based on the unique combination of a sophisticated fragrance creation, formulation design with a new generation cleaning system and the efficient Head & Shoulders scalp and hair care ingredients. As a biotechnologist and cosmetic researcher, today I will analyze the ingredients and technology of this product, but first, I would like to explain a little about dandruff.
What Is Dandruff?
Dandruff causes the shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp. The result is that dead skin cells shed in large, oily clumps, which appear as white or grayish patches on the scalp, skin and clothes. Dandruff is a common chronic scalp condition marked by itching and flaking of the skin on your scalp. Although dandruff isn’t contagious and is rarely serious, it can be embarrassing and sometimes difficult to treat. Mild cases of dandruff may need nothing more than daily shampooing with a gentle cleanser. More stubborn cases of dandruff often respond to medicated shampoos. In medical terms, dandruff is called seborrheic dermatitis, which is a common inflammatory skin condition that causes flaky, white to yellowish scales that form on oily areas such as the scalp or inside the ear. It can occur with or without reddened skin.
Product Delivery & Fragrance Analysis
• Head & Shoulders Green Apple Shampoo’s advanced formula relieves scalp itch, dryness, irritation and helps prevent flakes while improving hair and scalp health.
• Gentle and pH balanced for everyday use even on color-treated or permed hair.
• The new Head & Shoulders Green Apple Shampoo and Conditioner are specifically developed to deliver a fresh and clean feeling.
• The product technology comprises of a newly created fragrance and upgraded formulation that – by working together – delivers a long-lasting, clean and fresh scent to the hair and scalp.
• The dual-action formula does the work as it cleans and cares for your scalp while providing extra conditioners and up to 100% flake-free hair.
• Powered with Pyrithione Zinc the product delivers 7 unique benefits altogether.
– Fights dryness: Head & Shoulders‘ formula with active moisturizers continuously targets dryness, keeping your scalp healthy and your hair beautiful.
– Calms itch: Head & Shoulders‘ formula with a zinc-based active calms the itchiness, helping to leave your scalp more comfortable and your hair looking great.
– Relieves irritation: Head & Shoulders‘ soothing formula calms irritation, providing you with healthy, flake-free hair.
– Reduces redness: Head & Shoulders‘ formula calms irritation and reduces redness, leaving your scalp feeling great and your hair looking its best.
– Controls oiliness: Head & Shoulders is specially formulated to control oiliness for worry-free cleansing that leaves your scalp and hair looking and feeling healthy.
– Removes flakes: Head & Shoulders‘ special formula helps eliminate dandruff, leaving your hair 100% flake free.
– Leaves hair beautiful: With Head & Shoulders, you don’t have to choose between great-looking hair and a healthy scalp. You get both.
– The Green Apple scent consists of a beautifully vibrant combination of crisp fruits, florals and clean musks:
Top notes include a blend of green apple, Asian pear and juicy wild strawberries
Middle notes form a bouquet of lilies, and rose
Base notes are comprised of jasmine, warm woods and soft musks
Pro Clean Technology
To deliver an optimum cleaning performance, Head & Shoulders scientists have developed the Pro Clean Technology using advanced techniques such as computer modeling and molecular measurements. Pro Clean Technology allows the scalp and hair to have a long-lasting clean feeling and a basis for the fragrance to unveil its freshness during washing, as well as afterwards. The Head & Shoulders Pro Clean Technology is a blend of three specialized cleaning actives that work together to remove oils and dirt from the scalp and hair effectively. This proprietary technology includes the ingredient ZPT (or Zinc Pyrithione), which is specially optimized to help remove the malassezia yeast – a normally occurring microorganism on the scalp surface that plays a role in a cause of dandruff in susceptible individuals.
Science of ZPT & HydraZinc Complex
Head & Shoulders scientists first introduced and optimized the ZPT anti-dandruff active ingredient, which contributes to the clean and fresh feeling delivered by the Green Apple shampoo and conditioner. The ZPT in Head & Shoulders starts to work from the first wash by tackling the malassezia organism – which plays a role in causing dandruff – and therefore directly contributes to the cleanliness of the scalp and hair. A clean scalp is the basis for lasting freshness scent. The product is boosted with HydraZinc complex, available in all Head & Shoulders products. The formula with HydraZinc works so well quickly, as it acts on your dandruff symptoms very effectively. And that means you begin to control flakes and itchy, irritable scalps quickly, too.
Head & Shoulders Green Apple Shampoo:
• Active Ingredients: Pyrithione Zinc 1% (Anti-Dandruff)
• Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Glycol Distearate, Zinc Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Dimethicone, Fragrance, Sodium Benzoate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Magnesium Carbonate
Hydroxide, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Blue 1, Yellow 5
Head & Shoulders Green Apple Conditioner:
• Active Ingredients: Pyrithione Zinc 0.5% (Anti-Dandruff)
• Inactive Ingredients: Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Fragrance, Dimethicone, Glutamic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone
The blend of multiple surfactants in the shampoo formula enables proper cleaning of scalp. While the conditioner formulation is a combination of quats and silicones that enable free-flowing, smooth hair. I also liked the lingering fragrance of the green apple scent, which indulges the in-use experience of both the shampoo and conditioner. Overall, I enjoyed the range. So, ladies, if you are also facing a dandruff problem, try out this new collection this summer. I am confidant you will also adore it, just as much as I did.
SO, what do you lovely ladies think of this new scent? Do any of you suffer from dandruff? Let us know by commenting below, which will automatically be posted to our Community Forum (click here to check it out!) where you can find other beauty related discussions! Don’t forget to also submit a photo to our Photo Of The Day (click here!) feature, where a new photo will be picked daily. Your photo just might be selected, so get going!
-Rinki Pramanik, biotechnologist & cosmetic researcher
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.
If you like this post, share it with your friends and give it a LIKE on Facebook.