Concealers are tiny, but powerful. These highly portable beauty tools can make all the difference in the world. Like a sculpted brow, a proper concealer is truly transformational. It can take your look from sick and tired to “rested and ready-to go.” It’s truly what I call a “911” trick of the trade. And tricksters they can be. Proper application is a must and takes practice. The desire to glob on concealer to hide dark circles or shadows can be tempting but smearing on concealer in a hurry or with a heavy hand can give you raccoon eyes.
Here are some tips to consider when using a concealer: the perfect shade-match and coverage level are absolutely critical.
1. You can pick up professional application techniques from an expert at your favorite makeup counter or from the many “You Tube” tutorials available on line.
2. Some experts say that you should go with a concealer that is one or two shades lighter than your foundation. But remember, the goal is to lighten or cover imperfections around the eye-area so the shade should blend with your skin tone whether you’re wearing foundation or not. Most likely, your skin-tone will vary based on the season so what this means is trial and error. Give it go…practice makes perfect.
3. The coverage level is most important in order to camouflage your particular under-eye imperfection. Coverage levels range from light to full. Lighter coverage concealers are usually found in a pen or tube while medium or full coverage concealers are packaged in a compact or pot. Some concealers are created to be buildable allowing you to go from light to full by layering.
I started my career in the beauty business over 20 years ago, working on incredible brands such as Clinique, Revlon, Kiehl’s and Estee Lauder. I consider myself a lucky girl. I’ve seen many changes over the years and developed many beauty products. As a product developer, I keep a close eye on my competition to anticipate trends hoping to create the next best thing in beauty.
Over the past few years there have been many innovations in concealers from packaging, to texture and shade customization. My favorites of late are palettes offering depth of color options along with tonal variations for customization and experimentation. Another trend is finishing your concealer with a touch of loose powder. Loose powder helps set concealer, gives it staying power and prevents caking and settling into fine lines. Check out Bobbi Brown’s Creamy Concealer Kit. It’s a cream concealer in an adorable pot with a loose powder built into the bottom of the package. And how about all those twist-up pens with brush and sponge applicators? They offer portability and easy but precise product placement on the skin. As a cosmetic product developer I have created many concealers. But, I still have a wish list in mind for the future of concealers. Wouldn’t these be cool? Here’s to hoping some of our favorite brands can create one of these!!
What We See on the Horizon for Concealers
– Airbrush, spray-on concealers
– A new generation of loose powder concealer with good coverage and staying power
– Tattoo Concealers, a full coverage, under-eye concealer that lasts for several days.
– An under-eye serum that interacts with skin to change it’s color tone. Very similar to self-tanning technology but instead of creating a tan, within minutes blue circles go from dark shadows to skin tone perfect.
– Over the counter treatments like teeth whiteners that brighten the under eye area while you sleep.
What’s on your wish list?
– Andrea Phillips