Did you catch the Emmy’s last night? It looked like wavy hair and natural, fresh makeup ruled the red carpet. We’ve got the breakdown of the how to get some of the best looks of the night, right at home!
Hairstylist Giannandrea, International Creative Director for Macadamia Professional created Emmy Rossum’s glamorous waves.
- Starting with wet hair, apply a palm-sized amount of Macadamia Professional Foaming Volumizer ($25; com) from roots to ends.
- Rough dry hair with head upside down to create extra volume.
- When hair is 90% dry, apply a small amount of Macadamia Professional Blow Dry Lotion ($19.95; com) to large sections and dry hair using a medium-sized round brush. Once dry, pin each section with a clip to hold the volume.
- When all sections are dry, unpin and lightly brush the hair. Create a deep side part.
- Wrap medium sections around a 1” curling iron. When all the hair is curled, spray Macadamia Professional Flex Hold Shaping Hairspray ($19.95; com) to set the style. Lightly brush hair to slightly loosen the waves.
- Take a dime-size amount of Macadamia Professional Nourishing Moisture Oil Treatment ($39.95; com) and lightly run through the lengths of hair to increase shine and smooth frizz.
Actress and Emmy nominee, Constance Zimmer, debuted a new French bob cut with added fringe for this year’s Emmy’s red carpet, which was created by celebrity hairstylist, Ashley Streicher. With the help of Goldwell’s Kerasilk products and Varis Creative Energy styling tools, the inspiration for Constance’s modern look was inspired by her French designed gown from Monique Lhuillier. Constance had recently been wanting to go shorter with her hair, so she and Ashley decided that the morning of the Emmy’s would be the perfect time for the change!
Get The Cut:
To prep her hair for the cut, Ashley first washed and treated her hair with Goldwell’s Kerasilk Color Shampoo and Conditioner. Before cutting, Ashley sprayed the Goldwell Kerasilk Color Protective Blow-Dry Spray as a cutting spray.
Before Ashley started blow drying the new cut, she sprayed her hair with Goldwell’s Kerasilk Repower Volume Blow-Dry Spray and used the Varis Creative Energy Hair Dryer to give added volume.
After the hair was completely dry, Ashley finished the cut before she started styling. For her bangs, Ashley wanted them to be bold with a little bit of edge. She cut them bluntly, just above her eyebrows. After they were completely straight and even, she went in and cut little chunks out of them to make the pieces more edgy.
Get The Style:
To style the look, Ashley applied a small amount of Goldwell’s Kerasilk Control Rich Protective Oil from the mid through the ends. She then took sections and blew them out to give some added texture and movement.To secure the look, Ashley applied the Goldwell Stylesign Big Finish Volume Hairspray and began combing through the hair for a movable hold and lasting finish.
Once Constance’s hair was set in place, Ashely took a few select pieces and flat ironed them with the Varis Creative Energy Smoother to give the pieces a bit more texture. Lastly, to complete the look before Constance hit the red carpet, Ashley punched her ends with a small amount of Goldwell’s Stylesign Spun Shine Cream.
Goldwell products are available at salons nationwide, visit http://www.goldwell.us/salonfinder/ to find a salon near you.
Tori Kelly’s hairstyle stunned on the 2016 Emmy’s red carpet. Celebrity Stylist Nikki Providence used TRESemmé to create these old-Hollywood glamorous waves. “Her gorgeous Paule Ka black gown immediately inspired me to go for a classic voluminous style to complete the look,” said Nikki.
Get The Look:
- Generously spray TRESemmé Botanique Nourish & Replenish Hydrating Mist on towel dried hair to provide a healthy foundation for styling.
- Apply TRESemmé Thermal Creations Volume Boosting Mousse from roots to end to provide a light hold and protect hair against excess heat damage, then blow dry hair using a diffuser to bring out natural wave.
- Once dry, create a deep side part and prep hair with TRESemmé Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray before curling one-inch sections using a barrel curling iron. Be sure to curl each section towards the face to create the glamorous s-wave look.
- Allow time for the curls to cool, then gently brush through hair with a boar bristle brush to break up the wave pattern.
- Lock in the look with TRESemmé TRES Two Extra Firm Hairspray to block out humidity and provide lasting hold.
Pro Tip: Spray a toothbrush with the hairspray and go over face-framing pieces to detail the curl pattern and smooth frizz.
Gwendoline Christie, stepped out on the 2016 Emmy’s red carpet wearing a custom black Giles Deacon Couture dress. TRESemmé Celebrity Stylist John D. took cues from the design of the dress for the hair inspiration. “We wanted the hair to feel classic, modern and cool, so we decided on a textured undone wave,” said John.
Get the Look:
- Spray TRESemmé Botanique Nourish & Replenish Hydrating Mist throughout damp hair to provide a healthy base before styling.
- Create a deep side part, then blow dry hair using a bristle brush to lift roots and smooth lengths.
- Once dry, prep sections with TRESemmé Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray to protect against excess heat damage, then use a flat iron to create soft waves by bending sections of hair up and down from root to tip.
- Set the look with TRESemmé TRES Two Ultra Fine Mist Hairspray for lasting touchable hold.
Similar to her new show, Abigail Spencer’s look at the Emmy Awards was truly timeless!
She channeled her inner Katharine Hepburn with an elegant yet modernized hair look that will never go out of style. Renowned celebrity stylist, Anh Co Tran worked his magic using Infusium 23 and PRO Beauty Tools to create her beautifully classic hairstyle.
GET THE LOOK:
- I wanted to keep Abigail’s look beautiful, modern and Timeless!
- First, I washed and conditioned her hair with the Infusium 23 Repair + Renew Shampoo and Conditioner.
- Next, I dried her hair with the PRO Beauty Tools 1875W Ionic AC Motor; once her hair was 80% dry, I sprayed Infusium 23 Repair + Renew Leave-In Treatment all over to give her hair texture.
- I then sprayed the Infusium 23 Repair +Renew Heat Tamer from mid shaft to ends to protect against the heat.
- I smoothed her hair out with a round brush to get that beautiful shine from root to ends.
- Since we went for a modernized 40’s look, I used the PRO Beauty Tools 1” Curling Iron, starting at the nape using horizontal sections and working my way up to the mid crown. I alternated curling the sections from left to right, then right to left to emulate finger waves.
- For the crown and sides I switched to the PRO Beauty Tools 1 ¼ Curling Iron for bigger curls, still using the same technique as before. Once I got around her face, I made sure to curl away in order to frame it and not hide it.
- After, I broke up the curls using my hands and then secured the style with hair spray. Lastly, I pulled one side back behind her ear, and kept the other free to complete the look!
For actress Julia Louis Dreyfus, “Upon seeing the gorgeous Carolina Herrara gown, as a collective we decided the hair needed to be somewhat easy, playful, and with a bit of whimsy. We went with Hollywood glamour, but loosened up to make it feel a bit more modern.” – Matthew Monzon for StriVectin HAIR
- He started with freshly washed and conditioned hair, using StriVectin HAIR Color Care Shampoo & Conditioner ($23 each, com)
- Next, he sprayed roots with StriVectin HAIR Max Volume Root Lifting Spray ($26, com), and worked StriVectin HAIR Ultimate Restore Densifying Foaming Treatment ($44 , sephora.com) through the mid-shafts and ends using a wide-toothed comb
- He blowdried hair using his fingers for added lift and volume, finishing off the ends with a round brush
- Taking a one inch curling iron, he wrapped varying sized sections of hair (between 1 inch to 1.25 inch) around the iron in alternating directions for a less uniform, more tousled effect
- Last, Matthew emulsified a quarter size amount of StriVectin HAIR Color Care Vibrancy Booster ($27) in his hands and ran it through hair from mid-shaft through ends for a shiny finish
Mara Roszak, L’Oréal Paris Celebrity Hairstylist had an inspiration for Michelle Dockery’s hair.
“Michelle’s dress is a beautiful and feminine white lace dress with an ‘off-beat’ black detail. To complement her dress, we wanted to give Michelle a glam, yet imperfect look. Instead of going with the elegant, perfect style, Michelle’s hair is flawlessly deconstructed to match the details of her dress.”
Get The Look:
- To start, prep and wash hair with Advanced Haircare Extraordinary Oil Shampoo and Conditioner ($4.99 each)
- On wet hair, Mara applied Advanced Hairstyle Boost It Air-Blown Texture Mist ($4.99), before blow-drying to immediately give volume and texture to the hair
- Next, using a medium sized round brush, Mara began blow-drying just the top section of Michelle’s hair. Immediately after, Mara pin curled the bottom of the hair and let sit for a few minutes to create loose body
- To enhance the volume and body, Mara then waved Michelle’s hair with 1” curling iron. She also used a ½” curling iron to further define the loose curls. Mara sprayed Advanced Hairstyle Boost It High Lift Creation Spray ($4.99), all over the entire head to secure the curls and form extra lift
- Then, Mara switched Michelle’s side part to the opposite side to create effortless body. On the other side, Mara carefully pinned the hair back
- Mara finished Michelle’s hair look with Elnett Satin Strong Hold Hairspray ($14.99) to hold the style in place and to protect against humidity
Julianne Hough has always taken the red carpet by storm and tonight is no exception – the Sandra Dee star looked stunning tonight at the 2016 Emmy’s! This year, Makeup Artist Spencer Barnes trusted none other than LORAC Cosmetics to create Julianne’s fabulous look. “With Julianne’s dress having] no embellishments or frills, it was clear that this look would be best completed by keeping her face in natural matte tones and with a clean-beauty approach using precision placement techniques,” says Spencer.
LORAC Behind the Scenes Eye Primer ($21)
LORAC Front of the Line PRO Eye Pencil, Dark Brown ($20)
LORAC Lash Pomade Mascara ($23)
LORAC Mega PRO 3 Palette ($59) *Note: This product is limited-edition, launching in October
Celebrity Makeup Artist Tamah Krinsky worked with actress Amanda Peet for the Emmy Awards.
Face: With a soft brush, I applied a mix of Avon Ideal Flawless Liquid Foundation in Nude and Honey Beige to keep her skin looking fresh. Then, I swiped Avon Ideal Luminous Blush in Antique Rose onto the apples of her cheeks and blended it with Avon Ideal Luminous Blush in Candlelight onto her cheekbones.
Eyes: To create a really soft, neutral eye, I used a mixture of #3 from the Avon True Color Eye Shadow Quad in Naked Truth and #2 from the Avon True Color Eye Shadow Quad in Stone Taupe on her lids. I applied each tone one at a time, blending between each application until it almost disappeared into the skin. Next, I applied Avon True Color Eye Shadow in Vanilla to soften the inner corners and blend out the crease, continuing to keep everything very soft. To finish the eyes, I added a few coats of NEW Avon True Color Wide Awake Mascara in Black on both the top and bottom lashes.
Lips: Her lips were the focal point. I applied Avon True Color Perfectly Matte Lipstick in Ravishing Rose as a base and then added Avon True Color Perfectly Matte Lipstick in Red Supreme to the center of her lips, pressing the color in with my fingers to intensify it. This created a perfectly dimensional raspberry tone to compliment her complexion and the color of the dress.
Avon products are available through Avon Representatives and at avon.com.
Allan Avendano for L’Oréal Paris created actress Sarah Hyland’s look.
The inspiration? “Sarah’s Monique Lhuillier ensemble had quite a few colors going on so it was really important to make sure that her makeup didn’t compete. That being said, we really wanted to make it special with details that would complement the outfit. It was a moment of “less is more” and we decided on a special gold liner detail on the eye with eye gloss to keep everything dewy and fresh.”
- To start, Allan prepared Sarah’s skin with Youth Code Skin Illuminator Tinted All-in-1-Moisturizer ($17.99). This helped to moisturize her skin and prep for foundation application. Under Sarah’s eyes, Allan used Revitalift Miracle Blur Eye Treatment ($24.99) to give a smoothing effect and refresh the under-eye area.
- For foundation, Allan wanted to highlight Sarah’s beautiful skin, so he used Infallible Pro-Glow Foundation ($12.99). The luminous finish really complemented Sarah’s skin, making it look more healthy and radiant .
- For areas that needed brightening or extra coverage, (i.e. under the eyes, sides of the nose, under the cheekbones etc.) Allan used True Match Super-Blendable Crayon Concealer ($8.95). To cover stubborn areas, Allan used a color close to Sarah’s natural tone and to highlight, he used another two shades lighter.
- Allan then used True Match Lumi Liquid Illuminator in Ice ($12.99) as his go-to highlighter. He dotted it on Sarah’s highlight points (orbital bone, cheekbones, brow bone, Cupid’s bow, bridge and tip of nose), and then buffed it in with a dry, synthetic blush brush.
- For the liner, the first step was to apply a thin line right on the upper lash line with NEW! Voluminous Liner Noir ($9.99). The liner has super-fine tip to get right in-between the top lash hairs to make Sarah’s eyes pop
- Then, Allan started the Platinum Gold liner look, utilizing Infallible Silkissime Liner in Silver ($8.99). He first drew a precise line above the think black liner in order to give it a frame to sit on. Then, he winged out the liner, giving it a significant tail so that it would stand out under Sarah’s eyelashes
- In order to give the liner a more golden hue to match Sarah’s jewelry, nails and shoes, Allan used Infallible 24 HR Eyeshadow in Eternal Sunshine ($7.99). He applied the shadow by wetting his brush and dipping it in the shadow. Allan traced the silver liner to give it a more vivid, metallic shade.
- Allan then gave the eye a wet look by using Colour Riche Le Gloss in Naturally Nude ($7.95)
- For the lashes, Allan used the NEW! Voluminous Feline Mascara Blackest Black ($8.99) – which is one of his new favorites. He applied two coats on the upper lashes and one coat on the bottom.
- Sarah’s eyebrows were shaped and defined with Brow Stylist Definer in Brunette ($8.99). He combed brows into place with the spoolie and gave Sarah a soft, yet defined brow
- Being that Sarah’s eyes were a subtle metallic, Allan wanted to really add color on her face that was a bit unconventional. Taking inspiration from the makeup in images by Guy Bourdin, Allan decided to use Visible Lift Blush in Berry Lift ($12.95) to contour under Sarah’s cheekbones, the apples of her cheeks and into her temple
- To finish the look, Allan lined and filled in Sarah’s lips with Colour Riche Lip Liner in Eternal Mauve ($8.48). He then used Colour Riche Lipstick in Bronze Coin ($8.95) for a little added sheen
Emily Ratajkowski is known for her sultry looks and edgy style and at the awards was no exception – the model and up-and-coming actress looked flawless from head to toe on the 2016 Emmy’s Awards red carpet! Makeup Artist Hung Vanngo trusted no one other than LORAC Cosmetics to create Emily’s spectacular look. “I wanted to do something that would let her natural beauty and confidence shine through,” says Hung, “I took inspiration from her dress and did an eye focus in the same family of blues. To keep it modern, I left the rest of her makeup soft and subtle.”
LORAC Behind the Scenes Eyeshadow Primer ($21)
LORAC Front of the Line PRO Eye Pencil, Navy ($20)
LORAC Front of the Line PRO Eye Pencil, Aqua ($20)
LORAC PRO Palette 2 ($44)
LORAC PRO Palette 3 ($44)
LORAC PRO Lash Pomade Mascara ($23)
LORAC Alter Ego Lip Liner, Secret Angel ($17)
LORAC Alter Ego Lipstick, Exhibitionist ($17)
You can purchase all reviewed and mentioned items on BeautyStat.com.
Which was your favorite look of the evening?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to follow us on our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @BeautyStat! #bstat
– Allycia Wilson, Managing Editor
You can follow Allycia on Instagram and Twitter @lisalacquer
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.
If you like this post, share it with your friends and give it a LIKE on Facebook.