Summer is officially here, ladies! And we don’t know about you, but we can already feel the displeasure of the summer heat: our makeup seems to be melting off right before our eyes! No need to panic, though. We were able to get in contact with celebrity makeup artist Jake Bailey, who works with Katy Perry, and ask him how to keep our summer eye, lip and face makeup from making us all look like a hot mess (literally!). Read on to learn 10-steps on how to make that foundation last longer; make the easy yet effective switch from powder to cream eyeshadows and have your blush looking its best even at the beach. Although it’s summer, that doesn’t mean we can’t afford to look good… at all times.
10 Summer Tips From Celebrity Makeup Artist Jake Bailey:
1. Give your moisturizer plenty of time to absorb before applying foundation. If you apply foundation before the lotion absorbs your foundation, it may be diluted and won’t stay put as long.
2. Use a tiny bit of full coverage foundation and spread it thinly for a natural look that’s ultra durable. CoverGirl NatureLuxe Silk Foundation ($9.74; prices may vary) is a full coverage foundation with a natural glow that’s ideal for summer wear.
3. Use waterproof mascara! Heat and humidity will destroy regular mascara. Women complain that it’s difficult to remove but it’s easy if you use an oil-based makeup remover; washing your face alone won’t do the trick. Remove the eye makeup first then wash with your regular face wash to remove any remaining makeup or oil. CoverGirl LashBlast 24HR Mascara ($7.99; prices may vary) is not only waterproof but it’s the longest lasting mascara I’ve found.
4. I love liquid and cream shadows for summer. They have a nice glow about them and they blend on really easily using just a fingertip. CoverGirl Intense ShadowBlast ($7.98; prices may vary) come with a built-in primer that guarantees it will last.
6. To create a smoky eye that will last throughout a balmy evening use a waterproof pencil liner instead of a powder eyeshadow. Once set, it doesn’t move and you save yourself a lot of mess. Line the entire rim of the eye with the liner and smudge with your fingertip to soften the edges and create the “smoky” effect. Use the same technique using a lighter colored pencil for daytime “smoke.” CoverGirl LiquiLine Blast Eyeliners ($8.79; prices may vary) have great pigments and are super-soft for easy blending.
7. For beach-proof cream blush, try using a long wear lip color instead. Blend a tiny amount onto the apples of your cheeks and outward towards your cheekbones using your fingertips. Blend quickly because it sets really fast. Once set, it will last all day — even in the water.
8. Mix a shimmery lotion (I like M·A·C’s Strobe Cream; $15.00) with your regular foundation and blend onto your legs for some extra perfection and shine when you’re wearing shorts or short skirts.
9. Look for “light-and-bright” shades of coral and pink lipstick and stains. Corals look amazing with a tan; pinks are ideal for those with fairer skin.
10. For a sun-kissed glow, look for cream or liquid bronzers as opposed to powders as they have a more natural finish. Apply along the hairline, cheeks and bridge of the nose using a small, soft blush brush before you powder.
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.
If you like this post, share it with your friends and give it a LIKE on Facebook.