Last night at the 2016 MTV VMA’s in New York City, Rihanna was the queen of the evening, and to say she looked amazing is an understatement! Her beloved hairstylist Yusef created effortless, yet edgy looks – using ghd and MOP hair care – throughout the night that all withstood her killer performances.
“I wanted to show who Rihanna is and has been throughout her career. Her individuality is what made her into the icon she is today, so we wanted to highlight that with the hair. She is authentic and each look is some variation of a signature look that she’s had during her career.” –Yusef
To achieve the first look, I first blew the hair dry with the ghd Air Hairdryer ($199). I then straightened the hair with the ghd Platinum Styler ($249) and used MOP Mixed Greens Leave-In Conditioner ($22) to add smoothness so when I pulled it into that high ponytail it would be sleek and sexy. Once it was up, I sprayed the hair with MOP C-System Firm Finish Hair Spray ($24) and went over it the ghd Curve Classic Wave Wand ($199) to add a bit of wave and extra volume to it, and also to seal the hair and reduce flyaways. To finish, we sprayed MOP C-System Firm Finish Hair Spray ($24) again to give the hair extra hold and luster.”
“For the last look, I re-wet her hair and blew it dry again using the ghd Air Hairdryer ($199), brushing it back from her face with the ghd Natural Bristle Radial Brush ($56). Once it was dry, I applied MOP Mixed Greens Leave-In Conditioner ($22) to smooth the edges and add softness. Then I used the ghd Platinum Styler ($249) to lock in shine and make it even straighter and smoother. After that, I tamed flyaways and tucked the hair behind the ears with MOP Orange Peel Molding Cream ($22). To finish the look and hold it in place, I used bobby pins before adding MOP C-System Firm Finish Hair Spray ($24) to make the finished look a bit more glossy.”
It has been 10 years since Britney Spears has graced the stage of the MTV Video Music Awards, and the “Queen of Pop Music” makes her epic comeback with bombshell hair from award winning products from ColorProof Evolved Color Care and Bio Ionic.
Celebrity stylist, Lorenzo Martin, first worked his magic with ColorProof’s care and styling products that contain the most premium formulations specifically designed to preserve color treated hair. He then used the power of Bio Ionic’s highest performing conditioning tools (found at Sephora) that use natural volcanic rock minerals to infuse moisture back into the hair for a hydrated, healthy, and vibrant finish.
How To Get The Look:
Step 1: I began styling by using the ColorProof Evolved Color Care LiftIt Color Protect Foam Mousse on wet hair from roots to ends!
Step 2: I followed by blow drying hair with the Bio Ionic Ultralight Speed Dryer until the hair was smooth.
Step 3: I wrapped hair around with the Bio Ionic Long Barrel Curling Iron and left the ends out adding a little shake at the end to loosen the curl! This product is typically designed for people with long hair!
Step 4: For final touches, I used the ColorProof Evolved Color Care PowderFix Texturizing Powder and a little ColorProof Evolved Color Care HumidityRx Anti-Frizz WeatherProof Spray!!
ColorProof Evolved Color Care Lift It Color Protect Foam Mousse
This weightless, whipped volumizing mousse with revolutionary resin technology and Pro Vitamin B5 Panthenol infuses clean lift, lasting body and dazzling shine to hair while the Advanced ColorLast Systemtm provides unsurpassed color and heat protection. Who says you can’t have it all!
- Weightless, whipped formula for easy application and a no-product feel
- Provides clean lift with all-day body and shine
- Pumps in fullness with amazing sheen
- Never sticky or tacky
- Unsurpassed color and heat protection
ColorProof Evolved Color Care LiftIt PowderFix Texture Powder
Next stop gorgeous! Energize hair instantly with this one-of-a-kind, superfine, silky powder that delivers va-va-voom volume and all-day texture while prolonging hair color. Great for spot styling and piecing. It’s the texture, lift and control you’ve been looking for.
- Next generation way to attain volume and lift
- Superfine, silky powder with matte finish easily absorbs into hair and scalp
- Achieve volume at the roots and crown or spot volume for a piece-y look
- Unsurpassed color and heat protection
Bio Ionic Curl Expert Pro Curling Iron (1” wide barrel, SRP $130.00; Sephora): Creates longer-lasting curls in half the time! The longer barrel allows for faster curling and styling on wider hair sections, for all hair lengths. The Bio Ceramic Heaters provide instant and constant heat while styling. The ergonomic soft-touch handle and cool-touch tip create hassle-free styling. Exclusive Natural Volcanic Mineral infuses micro hydration to smooth, condition and shine.
Dove Celebrity Stylist Mark Townsend on Hailee Steinfeld’s Textured Braids: “For Hailee Steinfeld’s VMA look, we decided to experiment and have fun. The Video Music Awards are the one event where there are no limits, so we really went for it in terms of texture!
- I started by applying Dove Curls Defining Mousse to her damp hair and rough dried it to keep as much of her natural texture as possible.
- Once her locks were fully dry, I went in and waved her hair using a Harry Josh flat iron to create bendy S waves.
- Once I got the texture right, I teased the roots and sprayed them with Dove Volume Dry Shampoo.
- I then pulled the front of her hair back in a loose “almost braid” on top and secured it with a Blax elastic.
- This is where it gets really fun! I went in and made random braids adding pieces of leather and velvet for a modern boho feel.
- In order to get the perfect beachy texture, I sprayed her ends with a combination of Ouai Wave Spray and Oribe Apres Beach. The result was a tousled, bohemian yet modern look. She felt beautiful and looked V.M.Azing!”
Renato Campora for Dove Hair on Ashley Graham’s Wet Waves:
“After seeing Ashley’s dress for the VMAs, I knew I wanted to do something unexpected and beautiful to compliment the modern sexiness of her Naeem Khan dress. I sent Ashley a few sketches but this one was my favorite (hers too!) as we loved how effortless and chic it was. Plus, it’s the perfect way to stay cool on a humid New York night!”
How To Get The Look:
- Starting with wet hair, I applied a dollop of Dove Curls Defining Mousse from roots to ends.
- I massaged the mousse into her hair, and began scrunching and moving it around to really bring out her natural wave.
- I then applied Dove Regenerative Nourishment Serum-in-Oil all over to seal the cuticle and amp up the shine.
- Then the easy part – I let her sit and air dry while she got her makeup done!
- Right before she went out the door, and with her hair still damp, I sprayed a generous amount of Dove Extra Hold Hairspray to lock in the look!”
Kim K West wore a beachy wet hair style that we just loved!
Cynthia Alvarez for Dove Hair on Dascha Polanco’s Windswept Curls with Hair Jewelry:
“Dascha and I chose the look tonight to compliment her outfit. We wanted something modern and fun but not too over the top. The look we chose is a classic style with a twist personalized with the addition of some hair jewelry.”
How To Get The Look:
- To start the look I used Dove Style+Care Volume Amplifier Mousse on her damp roots to add natural volume.
- I then parted her hair on the side (above the arch of her brow) and began twisting her hair towards the nape of her neck. I secured the end of the twist by criss-crossing two bobbypins.
- The rest of her hair was blow-dried using a big round brush, pin curling each section as I went along.
- Once all the hair was pin curled, I placed a few metal cuffs onto the twist to add a unique flair to her hair. I lightly sprayed the twist with Dove Style+Care Flexible Hold Hairspray to tame any flyaways.
- Next I removed the pins and ran my fingers through the curls to create a windswept effect and loosen up the waves. To set the look, I used Dove Style+Care Extra Hold Hairspray while lightly back-combing the roots. The final effect is a classic look personalized with jewelry and a little
Singer Rita Ora went for a true rocker vibe with dark lips and smokey eyes.
“Showing the children how it’s DONE!!!” says Pat McGrath who showed Naomi how Lust 004 Kit in Vermillion Venom is done for the red carpet.
What was your favorite look from last night’s VMAs?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to follow us on our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @BeautyStat! #bstat
– Allycia Wilson, Editor in Chief
You can follow Allycia on Instagram and Twitter @lisalacquer
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.