If you’ve seen the trailer to Halle Berry‘s new suspense film, The Call (released this weekend on March 15th), then you sure will want to get her sultry eye makeup look. She plays the main character, Jordan Turner, a 911 operator, so this particular makeup is more of a daytime look suitable to wear to work or just on a Saturday afternoon spent shopping.
Even though her makeup appears to be quite simple, it enhances her intense and powerful expression throughout the film. Here are all of the key steps to properly achieve Halle’s makeup in her new film, as well as some amazing new products to use along the way!
1. The first step is to moisturize. Apply moisturizer to the entire face and neck, especially on any dry areas. Halle’s skin appears to be very smooth and soft, without any shine. One new product by La Roche-Posay is called Effaclar Mat (about $20.00) — a light moisturizer that not only refreshes the skin and provides adequte moisture, but also absorbs any excess oils that create unwanted shine.
It is a mattifying product that also minimizes enlarged pores. The Effaclar Mat is perfect for prepping the skin, as it does not require any additional mattifying powders or gels when creating this look. Now you are all set for applying your base!
2. Next, you will want to apply a light base to balance your skintone and cover any redness or age spots. Lightly apply only to the areas of the face that require evening out. Dermablend has a fabulous foundation called Smooth Indulgence SPF 20 Foundation ($32.00) provides excellent coverage and creates a smooth, matte finish without drying out skin. This creamy formula also contains a sunscreen to protect your skin and is noncomedogenic, so it does not clog pores. It is widely used by many people because it comes in a full spectrum of shades.
3. After creating Halle’s flawless matte base, we now will focus on the main part of her makeup look: her deep, intense warm mocha-colored eyes! First thing’s first, curl those lashes!
Choose a chestnut, warm taupe or light brown matte shade, depending on your skintone. Using a flat eyeshadow brush, cover the entire eyelid, especially focusing on the middle part of the lid. TIP: Start at the base of the lid, closest to the lash line to get the most amount of color and lightly blend in an upwards motion, but not above the natural crease line, creating a natural fade up to the brow bone.
Applying too much Matte Shadow ($20.00) close to the crease will create an unnaturally harsh line. By keeping the brow bone clean, this will bring depth to the subtle chocolate colored area around the eye to achieve her intensified gaze. Two amazing brushes to use are by Face Stockholm: Sable Fluff Brush #9 ($32.00) and #10 ($32.00).
Face Stockholm has developed the perfect matte shadow that is long-lasting and can be applied lightly for a more translucent effect, or, added on for a more opaque look. Three perfect colors are Malt, Hazelnut, and Irresistible.
They make seventy-one beautiful shades that can be bought as single shadows in a regular shadow case, or, you can choose a case for multiple shadows. The 10-Well Professional Palette ($20.00) is especially perfect for creating a basic spectrum of neutral shades (cream, taupe, beige, brown, grey and black, etc) that will most often be used in creating any look. You can also create a more fun-colored palette with blue, green, yellow and brighter tones. The choice is yours!
4. Eyeliner is the second most important part of the eye look. Pick a rich, dark espresso brown (avoiding black) — keeping it subtle to compliment the warm mocha eyeshadow tone.
Even though the eyeshadow is a lighter shade, the eyeliner will create a contrast and define the lash line. Starting out from the inner corner of the eye to the outer corner, lightly draw (closest to the lash line) a thin line, but not too thin. You want it visible enough to see the deep brown color of the liner.
A highly suggested pencil that is smooth and does not fade or smudge is Face Stockholm‘s Pencil ($17.00). Two perfect shades for Halle’s look are Morkbrun (an ALL-time favorite and pictured above) and Molly. These eyeliner pencils last for a long time, because they are highly pigmented and a little goes a long way. It is definitely a must to have their black, charcoal and basic brown shades.
5. To complete the dramatic brownie-colored eye let’s get some mascara! Think bold, thick, black lashes that really stand out and contrast against the light and dark browns on the eyes.
A fabulous new product by Face Stockholm is the Lash Booster ($34.00). It is excellent for emphasizing, thickening, and darkening your lashes — exactly what we are going for to get Halle’s dark eyes. Simply use the Lash Booster as you would with any other mascara, and watch it dramatically lengthen and thicken each lash while giving it that ultimate, intense onyx color.
The Lash Booster was created not only to use for a single makeup application, or for an everyday makeup look, but was specifically formulated with natural ingredients to make your lashes strengthen and grow, without the use of any additional products. This is a mascara to use everyday for 60 days, while dramatically plumping things up and extending the length of your eye lashes, naturally. Save some time and forget the fake eyelashes and glue application. Get the real thing with this natural booster!
6. Her eyebrows are well-groomed and very natural, keeping the main focus on the eyes and not on the brows. They should not be obviously drawn in or darkened. Lightly fill in any sparse areas with a eyebrow pencil or eyebrow powder.
One favorite product by Tarte is their Amazonian Clay Waterproof Brow Pencil ($19.50). It comes in two shades, a lighter taupe and a darker brown. The formula is very light and not too intense for a natural look. This two-sided pencil provides a brow color and a grooming brush on opposite ends.
7. Next we move on to the cheeks to give a little brightness to the face. Lightly sweep on a pink-colored blush to enhance cheeks with a small, soft powder or blush brush. The pink shade should compliment your skintone. A sheer blush gives a subtle pop of color that blends well to achieve a more organic look. Avoid adding too much color, as you do not want to overpower the eyes.
Face Stockholm makes a powder formula Blush ($20.00) that has a light texture and just the right intensity of color. Two perfect shades recommended to get this look are Crush, a soft watermelon pink for lighter skin tones and Blissful, which can be used for darker skintones.
8. Lastly, we arrive at the lips. Halle’s lips are a bit neutral, but still reveal a subtle brightness that is similar to her cheeks. Use a matte lipstick in a brighter rose or blush tone.
Tarte makes a creamy textured lipstick with the perfect shade to complete this look called Glamazon Pure Performance 12-Hour Lipstick ($26.00). Needless to say, it stays on all day and contains natural ingredients that keep your lips moisturized well.
Go From Day To Night
To transform Halle’s beautiful daytime look into something a bit more glamorous — depending if you are going out in the evening or just want to spark things up a bit — here is a quick, easy tip.
Add a sheer gloss over your lipstick. Simply apply only to the middle of the bottom lip, as this will make your lips appear more plump, reflecting the light and producing a glistening effect.
Wet n Wild makes an unbelievable lipgloss that is also very affordable. Diamond Brilliance Moisturizing Lip Sheen in On the Rocks (#617) is a perfect sheer, rose-colored shade to go along with your lip color.
What do you lovely ladies think of Halle’s look in this movie? Will you be recreating it at home? Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to check out our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Twitter @BeautyStat!
– Dawn DeSantis, beauty expert and editorial makeup artist (www.dawndesantis.com).
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.
If you like this post, share it with your friends and give it a LIKE on Facebook.