We all know that a skin care regimen starts with a good cleanser, but, have you ever wondered why it’s so important? Let’s explore the reasons behind why we need to make sure our skin is cleaned properly, no matter what skin type.
Why Is It Important To Use A Cleanser?
Even if you don’t wear makeup, it’s very important to wash your face with a cleanser. “It’s not just makeup you want to wash off”, says Dr. Charles Zugerman, Associate Clinical Professor of Dermatology at Northwestern University. Facial cleansers remove makeup, pollutants, bacteria and unwanted debris off of our face.
In addition, it’s important to recognize that properly cleansing the skin prepares your skin to absorb products you may put on after, like a serum or moisturizer. Clearing out your pores allows the moisturizer to penetrate into your skin for maximum effectiveness. What’s the point of applying moisturizers and treatments if your skin isn’t’ able to absorb them fully?
How To Choose A Cleanser That’s Right For Your Skin Type
When choosing a cleanser, April W. Armstrong, MD, Assistant Professor of Dermatology at the University of California Davis recommends on WebMD to “Always use a gentle cleanser, since harsh soaps can trigger the skin to increase oil production.” I completely agree, and even though it may be tempting to get that squeaky clean feel, it may strip your skin of the good oils — making your skin react by producing even more oil!
A gentle, non-foaming cream cleanser that I’ve been enjoying is the Neutrogena Deep Clean Cream Cleanser. This cleanser doesn’t foam up, so it doesn’t dry out my skin, but it does a great job of deep-cleaning each pore and getting the dirt out!
– Select a product with no/few chemicals, perfumes, and dyes
– You want a good cleanser that will remove the oil without stripping the skin which can stimulate even more oil production.
Combination & Normal Skin:
– Select a cleanser depending on the weather and your current skin needs.
How To Properly Cleanse Your Face
Believe it or not, there is a wrong and right way to clean your face! Check out our post How To Properly Wash Your Face: Dr. David Bank Shares His Tips to learn from Dr. David Bank, President of the New York State Society for Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery, the proper steps to take when washing your face.
– A regular facial cleanser can’t properly break down and remove waterproof makeup, so be sure to use a separate makeup remover if you use waterproof makeup
– Want to add an additional ‘rinse’ cycle? Use a toner to remove any debris or makeup that a cleanser may have left behind! You’ll be surprised to see what a little toner and a cotton pad will remove even AFTER you’ve cleansed your face, especially if you wear makeup
– After a thorough cleansing, be sure to follow up with a moisturizer that best fits your skin type and concerns. Even if you have oily skin, don’t skip this step! Oily does not mean your skin is moisturized or hydrated. According to Rebecca Kazin, MD, Assistant Professor of Dermatology at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute and Director of Johns Hopkins Cosmetic Center (WebMD), “Even oily skin needs to be moisturized to look its best.”
So tell us, what facial cleanser have you been using lately? Are you happy with it? Leave a comment below to let us know.
– Pretty Gossip blog: for helpful beauty tips, unbiased product reviews, and amazing giveaways.
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.
If you like this post, share it with your friends and give it a LIKE on Facebook.