We all love to have perfectly smooth skin for the summer but hate all that comes with shaving – redness, ingrown hairs, and razor burns. Ouch! To avoid all of that, we’ve got great tips for you from Venus Dermatologist Dr. Jody Levine on how to look flawless and avoid an irritating shaving experience.
- Your face toner works for your bikini area, too!A great way to avoid irritation is to use the same toner that you use on your face, on your bikini area. If you do experience irritation, you can treat it in the same way you would treat a blemish on your face.
- Remember to refresh your blades! To achieve a close, irritation-free shave, make sure you’re using a good razor with 5 quality blades. My favorite is the Venus Swirl – it has Gillette’s best blades and FLEXIBALL technology that moves in multiple directions over the curves and contours of your body, which reduces the chance of getting nicks and cuts. When you have to press hard or go over the same spot more than once, it’s time for a new blade!
- No More Saltwater Woes:Irritation from saltwater in the ocean is often the result of salt irritating the skin through tiny nicks and cuts from using a low-quality or dull razor. Switching to the Venus Swirl, with 5-blades spaced closely together reduces the possibility of your skin bulging up between the blades, which is when these nicks and cuts may occur.
- Put down the body wash. The best cushion for a smooth shave is using a good shave gel, like Venus with a Touch of Olay Violet Swirl. Shaving over the same spot multiple times can cause irritation, so shave gel is also great to track the area you’re shaving and make sure you don’t go over the same spot twice. If you don’t have shave gel handy, don’t reach for your creamy body wash – opt for a bar of soap.
- Say “No” to dry shaving. No matter how busy you are, dry shaving causes unnecessary razor burn and irritation. The best time to shave is after you’ve been in the shower for 2-3 minutes. If you’re shaving outside of the shower, turn the shower on for a few minutes to let the bathroom steam up to loosen up your skin and hair.