The eyes are often hailed as showing the first signs of aging, but the lip and perioral region can develop some of the most dramatic structural and visual aging, i.e., laugh lines become more pronounced, marionette lines cause the face to look sad/angry, feather lines are more exaggerated and the Vermillon border/cupid’s bow can thin out and age. Causes can include repetitive movements (i.e. smoking, drinking through a straw, etc.), facial expressions (smiling, pursing, etc.), excessive dryness and constant dehydration, environmental factors such as pollution and inadequate sun protection.
So, what can you do? Dermalogica has introduced the product you need now, Nightly Lip Treatment, and also enlisted the help of fan-favorite NY-based Celebrity Dermatologist, Dr. Whitney Bowe, who helps provide her expertise for this skin aging issue she often sees in her office. Below are some of the steps she recommends to helping reverse visible signs of lip aging and trauma as we age, helping to slow down the clock.
- Increase hydration: At night, the body experiences more TEWL due to increased body temperatures.
- Repair the protective barrier of the skin: Improving the barrier function of lip skin also leads to improved hydration, protection and helps the skin repairing process.
- Improve skin elasticity and restore volume: It helps to think of our lips like a sponge. By restoring hydration to the lips, they increase in volume; when dehydrated, they decrease in volume.
- Soothe and smooth to calm irritation: preventing inflammation can decrease inflammaging.
- Sun protection every morning is key for the lips and the area around the lips, double cleansing at night to remove pollution from the skin, not drinking through a straw and not smoking
- By supplementing necessary moisture and targeting the signs of lip aging at night, Dermalogica Nightly Lip Treatment (more product information below) complements your body’s fluctuations for fuller, smoother lips by morning. Using the right products to protect and nourish your lips is essential to keeping your lips youthful and healthy.
You can purchase all products reviewed and mentioned on BeautyStat.com!
Do you do nightly lip treatments? Will you give Dermalogica a try to prevent fine lines and wrinkles?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to follow us on our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @BeautyStat! #bstat
– Allycia Wilson, Editor in Chief
You can follow Allycia on Instagram and Twitter @lisalacquer
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.