Aren’t you tired of everyone telling you what “good hair” is supposed to look like? So are we. Dove Hair is thrilled to announce the launch of #LoveYourHair, a new mission to broaden the definition of beautiful hair by celebrating all hair (types, textures, styles, colors) and inspiring real women to do the same. When you Google “beautiful hair”, the results are often as shown below:
The Dove campaign challenges the fact that women are consistently faced with a narrow depiction of what ‘beautiful hair’ is supposed to look like. This homogenous depiction, on top of the rules and norms women are bombarded with (you shouldn’t have long hair past a certain age, curly hair isn’t professional, short hair isn’t feminine, Asian women shouldn’t have blonde hair, etc.) cause them to internalize a lot of pressure when it comes to their hair. In fact, 86% of US women believe that media and society put a lot of pressure on women to have hair that looks a certain way.
Select Research Stats:
- Most women (81%) feel that the hair we see in advertisements and in the media makes women in general feel bad about the hair they have
- Only 11% of women love everything about their hair and wouldn’t change anything about it
- 90% of women agree that they need to embrace their own hair and stop comparing themselves to others
- 3 in 4 women believe they would have greater self-confidence if they didn’t feel that they were being judged by their hair
Check out the film:
You can purchase all reviewed and mentioned items at BeautyStat.com.
Do you think your hair is beautiful?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to follow us on our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @BeautyStat! #bstat
– Allycia Wilson, Managing Editor
You can follow Allycia on Instagram and Twitter @lisalacquer
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.