Makeup for the Oscars was pretty and soft, with a few bold lips and metallic eye shadow looks thrown in here and there. We’ve rounded up some hits of the night along with step-by-step guides on how to create these red carpet-worthy looks at home!
For Kate Hudson, Debra Ferullo used products by Charlotte Tilbury including the new Instant Magic Facial Dry Sheet Mask to give the skin instant glow. Magic Cream was then smoothed on to plump out the skin, followed by Wonderglow primer to make the skin come to life. Next, Light Wonder in 3 was applied to Kate’s T-zone, and Light Wonder in 5 and 6 was applied to the hollows of cheeks. The Retoucher was applied under the eyes to bring light to the area, and Airbrush Flawless Finish Powder in 2 was applied to perfect skin.
To groom Kate’s brows, Debra applied Brow Lift in Rita and Grace K to achieve a natural effect. For the eyes, Team Tilbury applied Eyes to Mesmerise in Marie Antoinette over the entire lid up to the brow bone. She then used Eyes to Mesmerise in Bette on just the lids up to the socket line. Using the enhance shade from the Luxury Palette in The Glamour Muse, Debra applied in the lid up to the socket line and blended outwards and upwards, and then went overtop with the pop shade. With the smoke shade in the same palette, Debra applied the shadow to the outer corners and blended into the socket. Debra finished by applying two coats of Charlotte’s Full Fat Lashes to the bottom and top lashes.
Debra lined Kate’s lips with Lip Cheat in Iconic Nude and filled in with Matte Revolution in Very Victoria. Lastly, Cheek to Chic in Ecstasy was applied to the apples of Kate’s cheeks to complete the look.
Uzo, NARS’ International Lead Makeup Stylist created the beauty look for Ava DuVernay at the 2017 Academy Awards.
The beauty inspiration? “Ava just got back from filming on location in New Zealand – her skin has a healthy, sun-kissed glow. I wanted to emphasize this warmth in her complexion while keeping the makeup simple with a classic smokey eye, and lips and cheeks in muted shades of plum and rose.”
NARS worked with celebrity makeup artist Frankie Boyd to create the makeup look for Scarlett Johansson at the 2017 Academy Awards.
“I was inspired by Scarlett’s Alaïa dress with the beautiful shades of pink, magenta and green. Her makeup look is clean, beautiful and not too overdone.”
NARS also worked with makeup artist Rachel Goodwin, NARS Director, PRO Artistry and Red Carpet for North America to create the makeup look for Brie Larson.
“My inspiration for Brie’s makeup look was the strong, vibrant and empowered women that were often featured in Helmut Newton’s photography.”
NARS worked with makeup artist Rachel Goodwin, NARS Director, PRO Artistry and Red Carpet for North America to create the makeup look for Emma Stone at the 2017 Academy Awards.
“Emma’s look was all about 1930s Hollywood Glamour – her makeup was inspired by the romantic paintings by Dante Gabriel Rossetti.”
For Thandie Newton at the Vanity Fair Oscars After Party, makeup was done by Jo Strettell using Charlotte Tilbury Beauty.
- Jo used the new Instant Magic Facial Dry Sheet Mask to give the skin instant glow. Magic Cream was then smoothed on to plump out the skin, followed by Wonderglow primer and Magic Foundation for a flawless, poreless complexion in seconds.
- Cheekbones were sculpted in with Charlotte’s Filmstar Bronze and Glow. A warm glow was conjured with a swish and pop of Cheek to Chic in The Climax.
- Brows were lifted with Brow Lift. Eyes to Mesmerise in Cleopatra was washed all over the eyelid, and then taken under the eye along the lash line for a hypnotizing, gilded, majestic gaze.
- Full Fat Lashes mascara was applied for a full Hollywood Flutter!
- Jo sculpted Thandie’s limbs with Supermodel Body that catches the light beautifully.
- Thandie’s gorgeous lips were lined with Charlotte Tilbury Iconic Nude Lip Cheat Pencil. Charlotte’s signature Matte Revolution lipstick in Very Victoria was then applied for a fuller wider, gorgeous nude lip!
Sofia Carson co-hosted the Oscar’s All Access on ABC and Celebrity Makeup Artist Patrick Ta decided to keep her look naturally glam. He trusted LORAC Cosmetics to create a bold lip and glowy eyeshadow effect.
“The dress was our inspiration for Sofia’s makeup and hair. Today is all about showing off Sofia’s natural beauty! I wanted to keep the makeup subtle with a bright red lip to bring that Hollywood feel without looking over done.”
For lips he used LORAC Alter Ego Lip Liner, Pin Up ($17) and LORAC Alter Ego Matte Lip Lipstick, Pin Up ($18). While eyes were defined with LORAC PRO Unzipped Gold Palette, Uninhibited ($42) and LORAC Lash Pomade Mascara ($24)
We couldn’t get over how stunning Emma Roberts looked at the Oscars created by Charlotte Tilbury using Charlotte Tilbury Beauty.
“We decided to go for a lavender wash on the eyes, nude lips and glowing skin to complement Olivia’s vintage-inspired dress. I would call this look Ice Princess meets ‘Great Gatsby’.”
- To prep Olivia’s skin, Sir John used L’Oréal Paris Hydra Genius Moisturizer ($17.99). Then, for her complexion he applied L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Glow Foundation ($12.99) with the L’Oréal Paris Infallible Blend Artist Foundation Blender ($7.99). Next, for contour he used the L’Oréal Paris Infallible Total Cover Concealing and Contour Kit ($16.99).
- Sir John then took the L’Oréal Paris Infallible Paints Blush Kit ($16.99) and applied the lighter shade to Olivia’s cheeks.
- Next, Sir John applied L’Oréal Paris True Match Lumi Liquid Illuminator in both Golden and Ice ($12.99 each) to the high planes of Olivia’s cheekbones, the bridge of her nose and a little on her Cupid’s bow. He also applied L’Oréal Paris True Match Lumi Liquid Illuminator in both Rose and Golden ($12.99 each) on Olivia’s collarbones and arms to give her skin a beautiful glow.
- For Olivia’s brows, Sir John used the L’Oréal Paris Brow Stylist Frame and Set in Warm Brunette ($12.99), brushing the brows upwards.
- Then for Olivia’s eyes, Sir John created a washed lavender look using L’Oréal Paris Infallible Paints Eye Shadow in Shady Violet ($8.99) and L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Pocket Palette in Violet Amour ($9.99). Heht the purple/lavender colors around Olivia’s entire eye, applying the lighter shade of the Infallible Paints Shadow to under Olivia’s bottom lash line.
- To make the look pop and add punctuation, Sir John added generous coasts of L’Oréal Paris Voluminous Feline Noir Mascara ($8.99) to Olivia’s top and bottom lashes.
- For Olivia’s lips, Sir John first applied L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Lip Liner in Au Naturale ($8.48) all over the lip. Then, on top he applied L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte Gloss in Bare Attraction ($9.99).
- To finish the look, Sir John set Olivia’s makeup with the L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Spray & Set Makeup Setting Spray ($16.99).
You can purchase all reviewed and mentioned items on BeautyStat.com.
Which makeup look of the night was your favorite?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to follow us on our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram @BeautyStat! #bstat
– Allycia Wilson, Editor in Chief
You can follow Allycia on Instagram and Twitter @lisalacquer
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.