We here at BeautyStat had the opportunity to attend a CEW event recently where Shiseido CEO Masahiko Uotani gave us the latest information on Shiseido and the company’s growth. The CEW Newsmaker Forum was held on June 6, 2019, at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York City.
- In 2014, he was appointed CEO. This was the first time that in over 140 years that the company had ever appointed a CEO from outside of the company. At the time, the company was not doing well.
- He also had no prior beauty experience. He was a former Coca Coca executive and Shiseido was his client.
- Since taking the helm, the company is poised for growth in all regions.
- He empowers employees to change the culture.
- He says refer to the brand as a “tarnished diamond.” The company has great products and great quality. To grow it, all he needs to do is polish it.
- The company is showing 9% growth in the past 5 years.
- The goal is to double sales in 5 years by achieving $20 billion in revenue.
- He is always looking at acquisition opportunities.
- To get to $20 billion, he needs talent.
- 70% growth outside of the United States.
- 40% of business in China.
- Company conducts business in English.
- He is most proud of his people in the global organization.
Here are some additional photographs from the lovely event.
CEW is an international organization of 9,000 individual members representing a cross section of beauty and related businesses. The composition of membership includes leading brands, indies, retailers, media and suppliers. CEW’s primary purpose is to provide programs online and in person to develop careers and knowledge of the beauty industry. CEW provides opportunities to connect and gain industry knowledge through networking events, trend reports, industry newsletters, interactive workshops and industry leader talks. For more information, please visit https://www.cew.org/.
-Ron Robinson, BeautyStat CEO & Cosmetic Chemist