It was a whirlwind of hairspray, fashion, lipgloss and nails… but we managed to survive another Mercedes Benz New York Fashion Week! Our fab beauty editors divided and conquered to bring you all the backstage access of some of our favorite designers, hairstylists and makeup artists. Whether it was seeing models wearing hydrating facial masks for supple skin or stopping by a new beauty bar, we rounded up our Top 10 Moments From NYFW SS’15!
1. We stopped by the Maybelline Lounge Penthouse at Milk Studios and hung out with Makeup Artist Melissa Silver. She showed us just how easy the NEW! Master Kajal Eyeliners are to use for fall. Beauty Editor Mandie Williams took a break in between shows to retouch her makeup and sip some Maybellinis.
2. Cornrolls and ponytails. Senior Editor Erin Sutera made her way backstage at the Edun S/S’15 show with James Pecis for Beauty.com using Phyto and T3 tools. He created a modern pony by prepping the hair with PHYTO Phytovolume Actif Volumizing Spray from roots to ends and using the T3 Featherweight Luxe 2i. PHYTO Professional Glossing Cream was combed through the hair with fingers to give texture and separation. As the hair was tied into a low ponytail, it was secured with a black band at the crown. The tail was then sprayed with PHYTO Professional Workable Holding Spray and tied into a Zulu knot. The finished look was neat, funky yet not too done. As an added touch, James added tiny cornrows at both temples to secure the headband.
3. Beauty bars. Who can say no to a good blow-out? Our Beauty Editor Courtney Leiva made a well-deserved detour to the Panasonic Beauty Bar to enjoy more than one of the available amenities such as wash-n-blows, dry styling bar, manicures and VIP gifting. Perks!
4. The ’60s are back! At the Erin Fetherston show located at the Salon in Lincoln Center, everything was positively luxurious and mod! Mandie Williams spotted the designer herself (left) with a platinum hair flip as pretty and polished as her collection. The look here was a little more sixties, with black and white eyeliner and bright white nails tipped with a gold stripe. Nail tape made getting a perfectly straight line simple.
5. Neutral nail art. Beige, taupe, off-white… a neutral nail is what we can expect for the springtime. But of course, we can all benefit from a little bling. Nail art will be taking a more subtle approach with smaller accents, like a thin strip of gold found across the nail. Katie Jane Hughes painted our pinky nail as she did for the models backstage at Tadashi Shoji, where nails had one coat of NEW! butter LONDON Nail Lacquer in High Tea (available 2015) to create a clean, nude base; butter LONDON Nail Lacquer in The Full Monty was applied with the Striping Brush (available in the butter LONDON Colour Hardwear Nail Art Tool Kit) to create a diagonal mesh-like pattern.
6. Embrace your freckles… or just draw them on! Mark Carasquillo for Beauty.com used Keyvn Aucoin for a look that evoked an English Girl sitting by the seaside. Skin was evened out using the Sensual Skin Enhancer where needed; The Creamy Glow Duo to give a sunkissed glow. Eyes were minimal, curling the lashes and applying a dark brown mascara. The key to this look was the penciled in freckles, placing them differently on each model.
7. The reverse manicure. Nails were equally as neutral as soft. Katie Jane Hughes of butter LONDON for Beauty.com said she wanted to give a reverse paint job with the nails. The nail techs first used a beautiful taupe in Yummy Mummy and THEN used the Nail Foundation over the polish to take it back a notch.
8. We were able to celebrate the launch of BetsyElisa Inc.‘s Beauty Bar with owners Betsy Reyes and Elisa Tallerico, who have worked at MTV for the last 14 years. They continue to run the MTV beauty department, styling the likes of stars on TRL, Gossip Girl, SNL and comedian Amy Schumer. Now, the makeup and hairstylist duo are putting a smile on everyone’s face with their mobile styling service of the Beauty Bar. Now everyone can experience a red carpet look all of their clients get to enjoy. They even revved up our Managing Editor Theresa Romano‘s cat-eye with a tribal half up/half down braided style.
9. Use body oil for a glowing complexion? Get that glow with oil! Luminous skin is going to be HUGE for spring. Dewy cheeks were all the rage. butter LONDON‘s Katie Jane Hughes told us backstage at Rachel Zoe her favorite glowing concoction: a dollop of Jao Goe Oil mixed in with CHEEKY Cream Blush in Honey Pie and applied using the heels of the palms of her hands on the cheekbones.
10. Skincare backstage. Before the models were poked and prodded with liner and lipstick, makeup artists relied on some deeply hydrating skincare to help models get a healthy, makeup-free glow. At the Rag & Bone SS’15 show, Celebrity Makeup Artist Gucci Westman gave the models a radiance boost with Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Liquid or Ceramidin Cream to moisturize and soothe irritated skin. At Opening Ceremony, NEW! Dr. Jart+ Water Replenishment Mask soothed and moisturized the skin.
Tired eyes are inevitable for a model. The Patchology Energizing Eye Kit came to the rescue at the Tadashi Shoji SS’15 show. Celebrity Aesthetician Eileen Harcourt and her skincare team applied Patchology Energizing Eye Patches under each models’ eyes upon their arrival backstage. The gel was first applied to each patch before being placed on the models’ skin, offering a wonderful cooling sensation upon application. Containing micro-current technology, the patches deliver today’s most effective hydrating ingredients to the skin in a way that regular creams and serums cannot.
You can purchase all reviewed and mentioned items using our site, www.BeautyStat.com!
What were some of your favorite backstage moments and trends we captured?
Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to follow us on our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Twitter @BeautyStat! #bstat
Theresa Romano, Managing Editor | Follow Theresa on Twitter & Instagram @there_esa
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.
If you like this post, share it with your friends and give it a LIKE on Facebook.