My father always referred to my sister and me as “heartbreakers and soul-takers.” He may have been biased. Still, when I stumbled across Smashbox’s Spring 2010 Heartbreaker Collection, I couldn’t help but smile. Dear old Dad only saw our good points, much in the same way that this collection brims with sugary optimism.
At the center of this collection is the buoyant new fragrance, aptly named Heartbreaker ($22 at sephora.com.) Its notes of Blue Violet, Gardenia, Precious Musk, and first and foremost, Vanilla, blend together in a sweet roller-ball that supposedly “leaves him wanting more.” I can’t speak for “him” but I got a lift after sniffing it. I can understand why Smashbox would create an entire make-up collection in the spirit of this bubbly fragrance.
1. Heartbreaker Baked Fusion Soft Lights ($32) imparts a soft, neutral glow.
2. Heartbreaker Eye Shadow Palette ($34) comes in two color families: Kiss & Tell (pink and purple) and Hot Date (blue and brown.)
3. Hearbreaker Lash DNA Mascara ($19) contains both protein and amino acids to plump eyelashes. I should hope so, since proteins are nothing but chains of amino acids.
4. Heartbreaker Lip Shine ($19) glosses up your mouth in Berry Hot and Melon Drama.
5. Heartbreaker Liquid Liner Pen ($24) lends old-school drama to any eyelid.
6. Heartbreaker Rollerball Lip Gloss ($21) If you didn’t get your fill of gloss from the Lip Shines, this Pink Sugar shimmer saves the day.