You may indulge in spa days and pamper your skin with many facials, but when it comes to the holidays, there’s nothing like taking care of your inner beauty as well as your outer beauty. Studies have shown that truly great skin comes from the dual-ended approach of watching what you put into your body as well as what you put on it.
David Kirsch and Heidi Klum
Celebrity fitness coach and nutritionist David Kirsch suggests the following tips for a beautiful body, both in and out, during the holidays:
Don’t let yourself fall prey to the “It’s only once a year” mantra–instead, resort to smarter eating. On the day of the big meal:
- Make sure you eat a good, protein-rich breakfast to coat your stomach and keep you from overeating.
- An hour before dinner, take the edge off by enjoying a small protein snack like a handful of almonds or a protein shake.
- Pledge to keep your cheer clear: If you have to drink, make it wine or vodka soda—not anything pink or frilly.
Following the celebration:
- Banish the bloat by returning to your five-small-meals-a-day plan.
- Make sure you hydrate by drinking plenty of water to get rid of the fatty toxins.
- Potassium-rich foods like sweet potatoes and asparagus help to fight water retention, so stock up on these healthy holiday veggies.
- Make sure you avoid starchy carbs, which can cause your stomach to bloat.
Whenever you have a misstep:
- If you ate a little too much or exercised a little less than you’d like to – take small steps to get back on your path to wellness.
- Eat a healthy breakfast to start your day off right or do a mini-workout with cardio in the morning and cardio-sculpting in the afternoon.
- Small steps will get you back on track from the holidays in no time.