The 85th Annual Academy Awards spared no expense showcasing some fabulous makeup and hairstyle trends. Here at BeautyStat, we couldn’t get enough of Old Hollywood glam with perfectly wavy hair, authentic side parts, and, most of all, Charlize Theron’s adorable pixie cut and Anne Hathaway’s full-on fringe!
Our very own Erin Sutera tells us which cosmetics to use to get the makeup looks of Jessica Chastain and Reese Witherspoon. Read on to find out how to recreate the night’s best hair and makeup looks at home. Look red carpet-ready every day of the year!
BeautyStat’s very own Erin Sutera fills us in on which makeup products to use to get the Oscar looks of Jessica Chastain and Reese Witherspoon. For Jessica, Erin suggests using Bobbi Brown Lip Color ($24.00) in Burnt Red for that bold red lip. Keep the eyes and cheeks neutral with the Illamsqua Neutral Palette ($45.00) and NARS Blush ($29.00) Taj Mahal.
The Look: Hollywood Glamour
Renato and Jessica went for a Hollywood Glamour look – a style that was perfectly suited for the biggest award show of the year. Jessica’s deep side part and curled layers frame her face while giving a luxurious feel. Her classic, sophisticated hairstyle complements her Armani Prive dress, Christian Louboutin heels and bold, red lipstick. To finish the look, Renato tucked her hair on the left side to showcase the gorgeous Harry Winston vintage earrings.
Here’s how Renato created Jessica’s look:
1. First create a deep side part. Then prep damp hair with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Boost & Lift Foaming Air Mousse ($7.98), applying at the length for touchable volume.
2. Blow-dry hair with a large round brush until it’s dry.
3. Then spritz Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Heat Protect & Shine Spray ($3.99) to protect hair while curling it. Using a ½ inch curling iron, curl the ends for 10-seconds, remove and then pin immediately.
4. Once the hair cools, remove the pins and brush the curls out for a soft wave. Tuck hair behind one ear.
5. To finish, spray hair with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Flexible Hold Hairspray ($3.99) to hold the style in place, leaving it with a sleek, finished look.
Fekkai stylist Adir Abergel, who has worked closely with Anne this awards season, created another beautiful look for the star. He was inspired by the clean lines of Anne’s Prada gown and 1950s glamour. Recreate Anne’s chic look by following Adir’s tips below.
1. Begin by applying Fekkai Coiff Bouffant Lifting & Texturizing Spray Gel ($25.00) from roots to ends to maximize volume in short hair.
2. Blow-dry hair using fingers to create additional lift and bring out hair’s natural texture.
3. Once hair is completely dry, create separation using a dime-size amount of Fekkai Coiff Nonchalant Piecing & Forming Wax ($25.00).
4. Finish the look by tucking the sides behind your ears and using Fekkai Coiff Sheer Hold Hairspray ($23.00) for the perfect all-night hold.
To get Reese’s understated yet glam makeup look, Erin suggests using Tom Ford Private Blend Lipstick ($48.00) in Blush Nude, Burberry ‘Light Glow’ Natural Blush in Cameo Blush, Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil ($32.00), Hourglass Visionaire Eye Shadow Duo ($38.00) in Gypsy with Film Noir Kohl Eye Pencil ($28.00)and Film Noir Full Spectrum Mascara ($28.00).
Face: Diorsnow White Reveal Moisturizing Lotion and Diorsnow Fresh Cream, Diorsnow White Reveal Illuminating Eye Treatment, Diorskin Nude BB Cream
Eyes: Diorshow Mascara in #090 Catwalk Black, Dior 5-Couleurs Eyeshadow in Incognito and Dior Twin Set Eyeshadow in Beige Ribbon #530
Lips: Dior Addict Lip Glow, Rouge Dior Nude in Indiscrete #228
With Charlize Theron’s newly cropped coif, there was no hiding those brows. Although not on board with the thick, bushy trend, she pulled out beautiful, elegant arches that work flawlessly with her face. With the ashy color of her brows, it really brings out the green in her eyes.
“My inspiration came mainly from her short hair, which she cut three months ago for a movie,” said Angileri. “And is now just grown out to
length that can be styled into a sophisticated, yet androgynous look that complements the sleek lines of the Dior haute couture gown.”
“I wanted Charlize’s hair to look like she got out of jeans and a t-shirt and put on a gown because the style is so simple and chic.”
Here’s how Enzo got the look:
1. After washing and conditioning, Enzo applied Wella Professionals Natural Volume Styling Mousse ($13.60) to wet hair to direct hair into place.
2. Then blow-dry hair with a diffuser until it’s 100% dry and in place.
3. Rake hair down with a brush following the part and shape of the head, leaving volume at the top of the head.
4. Enzo used Wella Professionals Shape Shift Molding Gum ($9.10) to mold the hair and create a texturized look and feel.
Finally, he finished with a light mist of Wella Professionals Shimmer Delight Shine Spray ($11.49) to give hair luminosity on the red carpet.
Makeup artist Jillian Dempsey created a stunning look for Jennifer Lawrence:
Face: Diorskin Forever Foundation, Diorskin Nude Tan Bronzer, Diorblush in Peachy Keen #553
Eyes: Dior 5-Couleurs Eyeshadow in Bleu de Paris #254, Diorshow Mascara in Catwalk Black #090, Dior Style Liner
Lips: Dior Addict Lipstick in Beige Casual #222
Jennifer Lawrence‘s manicurist, April Foreman, glammed her up in some fantastic COVERGIRL Outlast Stay Brilliant Nail Gloss in Forever Frosted. The Best Actress Nominee chose the color because she wanted something understated and classic, that was opaque but dressier than a sheer nude. She truly looked like a princess!
Who do you think rocked the red carpet? Which makeup/hairstyles did you like the best? Let us know by commenting below (you just might win a free sample)! Make sure to check out our Pinterest page by clicking HERE! And don’t forget to get the latest beauty and skincare news by following us on Twitter @BeautyStat!
– Theresa Romano
For more giveaways and contests, sign up for our newsletter HERE.
If you like this post, share it with your friends and give it a LIKE on Facebook.