When Spring comes along, most women ditch the hats and scarves and are ready to show off a hot new hair cut or style. Well we checked in with our own resident celebrity hair stylist, Rodney Cutler to find out what are the hottest looks for the season.
This season, the Cutler/Redken team created the trends for over 40 shows at fashion week in New York City. Owner of Cutler/Redken salons, Rodney Cutler, and his talented team of stylists took to the catwalk to showcase stunning hair. For spring, many of the looks were inspired by airy texture, which complemented a lot of the designers’ style and feel for the clothes. Overall, there was a juxtaposition of beautifully polished and feminine clothes with slightly undone hairstyles. The talented Cutler team shares how to re-create the trends seen at the shows from the renowned designer shows including Carlos Miele, Nicolas K, Tadashi Shoji and Rebecca Taylor.
Textured Ponytail as seen at Carlos Miele
Fitted gowns and soft fabrics flowed down the runway at the Carlos Miele show. “We always like the look to be very elegant, simple and feminine,” says Rodney Cutler, the lead stylist for the show. “This season, it’s a little more editorial with a dry, airy texture.”
- Spray Cutler Volumizing Spray into damp hair and blow-dry for volume and texture
- Set hair with a 1” curling iron, taking small sections and lightly spraying with Redken Forceful 23 Hairspray
- Rake fingers through hair, starting at the roots to create a disheveled look
- Create an imperfect center part and pull hair back into a low center ponytail
- Use a bungee elastics and be sure to apply tension when securing the ponytail, which will accentuate the shape of the head. Lightly brush the ponytail to create an airy effect
Fun Fish Tail Braid as seen at Nicolas K
“To complement the casual-yet-chic designs, we wanted to do something that was strong and graphic, but still beautiful,” says Rodney Cutler, the lead stylist for the show. “The fishtail braid is cool, understated and worked wonderfully with the clothes and makeup. Plus, the great thing about the braid is that it’s so easy to re-create at home with minimal products and time.”
- Spray damp hair with Cutler Volumizing Spray and blow-dry for volume
- Gather all hair just below the ear, pull to one side, create a fishtail braid and secured with a small piece of leather
- Leave a few fly-aways around the hairline to achieve a soft effect
- Lightly spray with Redken Forceful 23
Young and Romantic as seen at Tadashi Shoji
The detailed and feminine dresses seen at Tadashi Shoji were paired with an elegant, yet slightly undone and romantic, textured bun. “This style is simple to duplicate, and maintains a dry, airy effect,” says Rodney Cutler, the lead stylist for the show.
- Spray Redken Spray Starch on dry hair for texture, and create two ponytails so they lie one on top of the other
- Lightly apply Cutler Definition Cream to the top section and starting at the roots, curl in diagonal sections with a 1” curling iron
- Loosely brush out the top section to create romantic waves
- Twist the two ponytails together to create a loose bun at the back of the head and secure with bobby pins
Dramatic Bun as seen at Rebecca Taylor
The flirty, ‘70s inspired styles seen at Rebecca Taylor were given a fun twist with an editorial top bun. “I wanted to give the hair a bit of ‘static volume’ so it didn’t look overly done,” says Cutler/Redken Stylist Dai Michishita, lead stylist for the show.
- Apply Cutler Straightening Cream to damp hair and blow dry in an upward motion, lifting the roots with a soft brush
- Gather hair into a high ponytail, pulling small sections from the style and securing with a bungee elastic
- Twist the high ponytail into itself to create a knot, secure with French pins and tuck the ends into the bun
- Lightly pull a few pieces of hair on each side of the temple and spray Redken Quick Dry 18 onto hands, lightly rubbing them along the sides of the head to accentuate the look
So, tell us which hairstyle you’re most likely to rock this season. Post a comment below for a chance to win free haircare and styling products.
And give this post a LIKE on Facebook. Thanks!