There were so many makeup innovations in 2010 that we felt a little like Tim Allen in The Santa Claus in determining WHICH toy to pack into our “Best of 2010” bag. We know your hard-earned dollars will want nothing less than the very best, so without much ado, we present you with our “Best of 2010 in Makeup” finds.
NARS’ Pure Matte Lipstick collection of six luscious shades enriched with mango butter, vitamin E and acai oil to give rich moisture feel in a soft matte base. We love the colors and their brilliant staying power. $25 each at Sephora. MAC has gone above and beyond the pale in 2010, surprising us with blockbuster collections from Venomous Villains, A Tartan Tale to our favorite To The Beach summer collection. We love their Digi-Dazzle lipsticks because they up the ante for lipstick lovers. Check out our tutorial here and see the shades. $14.50 at MACCosmetics.com. Clarins has always been a bit of a sleeper to us in the makeup department, but honestly their Rouge Prodige lipsticks are a standout because of their quality, pigment vibrancy and their long-lasting shades. Check out our review of their Holiday Barocco collection and lipsticks here. $24 at Clarins.com.
Nail Lacquers We Couldn’t Put Down: Chanel’s Paradoxal, MAC’s Bad Fairy (from Venomous Villains)
Our “hands-down” favorite nail shades this year were Chanel’s Paradoxal, a soft silvery violet that quickly became a statement maker and was copied everywhere this fall, and MAC’s Bad Fairy (part of the Venomous Villains Collection, which we reviewed here). This is a deep, rich rose duo-chrome polish that will tint a bright coppery orange depending on which way the light hits it. Two gleaming favorites!
Our beautiful blush craftsmen at Benefit Cosmetics have been a long time favorite of ours. One of our loves is Sugarbomb, an all-over face powder that can be used as a blush/bronzer. These four unique shades of rose, shimmering pink, soft plum, and peach blend together perfectly for a delicious “sugar rush flush.” We think it’s THE BOMB at $28. Stila Cosmetics’ ingenious lipstick and blush-in-one proves irresistible. Non-greasy, this creamy, sheer tint adds an inherent glow to the cheeks while lips bloom with fresh, radiant color. $25 at Sephora.
Make Up For Ever’s Aqua Creams was, in our expert opinion, THE blockbuster waterproof launch of 2010. The Aqua Cream pots are extremely easy to apply, going on with a velvety finish. This delivers strong pigments and is BUDGE PROOF (yes, even in aquatic conditions). $20 each at Sephora. We also loved Estee Lauder’s Pure Color Eye Shadows: these powdered shadows are finely milled so they glide on and blend easily. Another eye launch we lauded in 2010 is Shiseido’s Luminizing Satin Eye Color Trio. This is a newbie for the brand, and combines everything from soft shades to vibrant brights. A must from Dick Page’s creative ouevre. $33.
Foundation Faves: NARS’ Sheer Glow; Stila Cosmetics’ Illuminating Liquid and Powder Foundations
- Once again, NARS makes our list, this time with their
Sheer Glow Foundation
- . This is a weightless formula that hydrates the skin while complexion-brightening properties improve skin brightness, radiance, and texture. Who couldn’t use a little illumination? $42. We also love
- that glide on weightlessly for sheer-to-medium coverage. These give your skin a silky semi-matte finish that evens out flaws while allowing a natural luminescence to shine through. $38.
- is a winner for 2010. The long-wearing formula adds natural-looking length and gives you clump-free, nicely separated lashes, and washes away easily with cleanser and warm water. $19. Lancome’s
Definicils Precious Cells
- mascara won our lashes over with its extraordinary ability to give them lift and strength while coating them with smudge-proof color. A true high-def, amplifying
- with a lash densifying complex. $29.
Are your 2010 makeup faves included in this list? If not, tell us which ones you couldn’t live without this year!
Elaine Hamilton & Charu SuriIf you like this post, please give it a LIKE on Facebook and share it with your friends